Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Why did i wait so long??
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So these last few days i've had a thought running around my head. My plans have always been to put twins on my truck, but this last week i have had this strong urge to buy a boat. I've been married for 3 years now, and we've been looking for more things to go out at do, as a couple and with friends.

i never plan on doing pulls or going to the strip. I just wanted them for towing. I know the twins would be better for towing, BUT with a stage 4 trans and good EFI tuning, my truck will still easily tow everything i want.

My plans were to add SDP twins which are $3500. Along with the new intercooler, pipes, and nozzles to with it. So now i have a roughly $5000-6000 dollars.

So what would you guys do? Add twins so the truck goes faster and tows better OR cut back on some of the truck mods and buy a boat and some toys to go with it for more family time? We have tons of lakes nearby so it would get used quite often.

For 4000 i wouldn't be able to get a new boat, but i've looked at could get one that would definitely work for us. Then use the extra for life jackets, tubes and such.

Let me know fellas....

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
imo i would do the upgrades to the truck because theres always winter and the truck is there year round so thats my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
hrmm.. best of both worlds and get twins and a jon boat to throw in your bed? :neener

realistically, have you looked in to purchasing a pontoon boat with other couples that you are friends with? This way, you and your wife can enjoy it with your other friends, and the cost is split in to however many ways you wish. The initial cost is lowered, along with maintenance/dock fees, whatever. Plus, you could pay less for it as well considering you have the tow rig whenever it's needed. just a thought, my neighbors do this and absolutely love it.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have a boat and enjoy it very much. it is great to spend weekends with friends on the water. My boat was just a bit more than $4k though....

Buying a boat with friends has its benefits, however it also has its downsides. Say you are running it without them and blow the motor, should you all share the cost of repair or should you foot the bill yourself? I am sure that you would think one way and your friends would try to convince you otherwise.

I would recommend getting a boat as long as you will actually use it. Too many people get one and use it once a year, letting it sit and rot the rest of the time. But there is nothing like spending time on the water.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I am buying a Boat this winter for sure! I never was much of a lake guy but after going to Party Cove this year that all has changed. My friends have boats and I have a drag car so. I did my own thing. But after having so much fun on the water and with the girl friend it really was a blast. All I can say is buy a nice boat and you will enjoy it much more imo. You can upgrade the truck anytime. But you can have fun on the boat with your wife now and next year!

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Get the boat, at least it somewhat holds it's value in case you need some cash.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I can't stand boats and think they just silly. BUT seeing as how you don't really have any sort of need for twins at all I would think about the boat. Unless you plan on doing some serious towing or going to the strip a lot then it's hard to justify putting all the money into twins. Go get your silly boat and float around, it'll probably be a better idea for you.

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
I personally vote Twins.. Maybe it's because I have them, I dunno, but out of ALL the mods I've done to my truck, the Twins are the ONLY ones that actually still keep me smiling every time I hit the throttle. My tranny was a novelty for me, I had a week of excitement, EFI live was a 2 week excitement, etc.. etc.. The twins are just pretty much the best thing I've ever done... low EGTs, exhaust drone GONE, whistles like a freight train, and just plain out hauls azz all the time....actually makes it fun to drive the truck.

And another thing, I do have experience with boats.. my house is literally 1.1 mile away from Glendale Lake...and my dad has a boat.. IMO....they are a P.I.T.A. , stupid maintenance, etc.. How much do you plan on boating? I know at the lake around here you just pay $20.00-25.00 a day and you can rent on that you don't have to take care of.. Good lord if you use one every week all summer it's still cheaper than just the docking cost you would pay with a boat. I've just over the years became less of a boat fan...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I vote boat. Ive got three of them and love them all. The maintenance sucks but its worth it to me. Buy the boat now have fun save more money than buy twins:drink

·
Registered
578 Posts
I vote boat, but don't get a fixer-upper they are a total P I T A

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'd get the boat. You only get so much free time to spend with the family. If you are like me and try to have some family time around the house you will end up working on something. If you take the boat out you wont wander off to do something.

:drink

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Is that you John Wayne? Is it me?

get the boat then sell your truck and buy one that already has twins.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
boats have a newness factor that wears off, then once it does, you will hardly use the boat very much. Unless you are gettin a fishin boat

·
Registered
221 Posts
I vote boat as well. Your truck already tows fine and hauls ass like it is. If you don't believe me, drive a half-ton for a week or so then get back in yours. It'll be like driving a brand new one haha!

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
I'd like to ask the question...all you guys who say Boat...how many of you have Twins?

·
Registered
119 Posts
You know what the two happiest days of a boat owner are:

The day he buys it and the day he sells it.
or

Boat: A hole in the water to pour money in.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Boat. Twins don't add value to your truck. (trucks and car modifications are very poor investments. Boats are a little better...
so boat.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
I'd like to ask the question...all you guys who say Boat...how many of you have Twins?
I don;t have twins my beater couldnt take it i'd have it gutted with twins, but I work all the time and dont have shit to do when im not id rather have the boat. if its a nice boat if its a beater do twins.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts