Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at my turbo options, twins(SDP) or a big single? Anyone got some input? advantages of a big single and disadvantages, same for twins, and what are some big single chargers for options?? thanks, :drink

·
Banned
17,252 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you go big single, good luck actually towing something over 500 lbs, unless it has a super tight AR in say, a S472.

A5K from ATS is also huge (71.5mm) and in a T3 pedistal...WTF?

Personally, I would go SDP, I.I, or MPI.

Could also look into the competition HTT.
Welcome back :D and i dont tow anything. I was leaning towards SDP twins but a big single would also be sweet i thought. Send me some pics with your JDM 3/5 in, i wanna get one but im hesitant lol

·
Registered
686 Posts
idk but all the big dog supra guys around here get rid of twins and run a huge single ...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, because they have 8k RPM to play with, we have 2500rpm to have fun with. :(

If you dont tow anything you could go S480 over S510 :D
haha brian, lets be realistic. I dont got the funds for a motor build yet :cool: those bitches would singggggg, not to mention probably blow my heads off

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd do twinzzz over your stock IHI or upgrade that too.
Ya im leaning towards twins, for now i was thinking a S475 or S480 over my stocker, what would i upgrade the stocker for? S366?. Yes that picture is sick, i want mine powder coated white(to match truck) or red

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
big + stock motor dont go hand in hand ;)

s472 isnt exacty what i would call big....more like mediumish :D thats what i would do with a .9 A/R like steve's he says his has no problem spooling. and you can come up with a kit for one right around 2k maybe a tad more.

twins are awesome and all but its a bit more work and also it will retain your not so great stock turbo. however the IHI i think lends itself best to the situation

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
You could look at Freddy's up graded stock turbo like his super stocker or his stocker pushed out to 64.5mm then you could go with the S480.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
i dont see why a IHI wouldnt work with an S480? might bit a bit more laggy but i think it would spool. IHI had better exhaust flow then an LLY+ also to help more DP get to the big boy faster

however you may need a bigger/better gate.....thinking aloud...

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
Yea the IHI can flow, but its way smaller than the LLY turbo.
yea but i mean it should still be able to get enough power going to spool an s480...its not like you man oodles more power with an LLY even though its bigger. all the other problems with it hold it back so its just a smidget better then the IHI's...

least thats my train of thought...

all in all it doesnt matter all that much cause an s475 will take you to the rod bending edge anyway...

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
YO BRIAN! i was just looking on FI's site and i didnt see the 72 comp offered with a .9 ar or even a 1.0 ar just 1.1.... where did steve get his? did he get a different turbine housing somewhere?

EDIT:...looks like bullseye does? but without the 83 wheel?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts