Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Two issues

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  WestCoastCanuk 
#1 ·
I bought an 04 Dura a few months back and am having a couple issues
1. The steering has begun to clunk and bind up.
2. When it's cold out the motor knocks really loud under acceleration even after the temp is within normal op. range.

Is this common ? I bought an extended warranty for this truck but hoped i wouldn't need it.I'm only familiar with moans and groans of the 18 wheelers i drive everyday. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
duramaxd,

Could you elaborate on the steering shaft needing lubed............

maybe a "how-to" vs taking it by the Chevy dealer service dept.

That would help a not so mechanic like myself..............:rof
I have an 04, and it could probably use it, too(my reason for asking).

Thanks.

#5 ·
i took mine to the dealership for them to do it. My dealership is pretty cool about extra hp and stuff they didnt charge me a dime for it but it only took like 10seconds to do, but they have a little needle looking deal for their grease gun and its a pain to do yourself thats my 2cents.

#11 ·
i had a 2004.5 and the sound is coming from the intermediate shaft on the steering colum. mine made the same clunking noise. the dealer ship where i live does not mind the hp upgrades either. they had to replace the inter. shaft 7 times and greased them all about two times each. i have a 2007 now and it seems that they have fixed the prolbem now. so good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.