Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a ultra gauge from there website! It is like a scan gauge but way cheaper than them.... it just hooks to the obd2. Will my truck read boost through the obd2?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
seems like kind of a gimmick to me, but yes your obd2 will send a boost signal, same way the ecm reads boost.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen one in person.... seemed pretty nice! I should know by this weekend! Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
very cool, well you'll have to post some pics. where are you thinking about mounting it?

and just be careful completely relying on electronic gauges. their only downfall is that the readings are only as strong as their electrical sensors on the other end that go out/ read incorrectly at times

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the gauge and got it hooked up yesterday.... it seems to be well worth the money I can read boost intake air temp engine temp fuel pressure engine load and all sorts of stuff! it seems to work well so far but I just ran down the road and my fiance is borrowing the truck today so I won't be able to mess with it! but don't worry I turned the dsp all the way down and she doesn't mess with it!

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
UltraGauge performance?

Hello evansdmax,

You've had your Ultra Gauge for about a year now and it would be great to get an update!

I've got an 03 Sierra with the LB7 but the original owner never went for the Driver Information Center, so mpg, oil life, etc. is not available to me. I suspect that data must be available at the OBD port and perhaps accessible via UG. I have aftermarket EGT and Boost gauges.

Mainly interested in mpg, ave. and instant. How's the UG worked for you?

Best wishes.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bad update... it killed my battery's drained them over about a 3 day period... idk what happened my brother got one the same time i did and his is working good!! i sold mine to a friend and he is still using it but i dont know what happened it didn't do right in my truck

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Evansdmax,

Sorry to hear about the issues with your Ultragauge. I understand the unit itself, at just a few watts, does not kill batteries but in some way, if not properly configured, keeps other elements of the electronics awake and that's what does the deed. Suspect you already researched that angle.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm primarily interested in maximizing mpg and want to know if you did the on-road calibration and used the mileage features? I'm driving like a granny most of the time anyway (20 hwy, 13 towing 5k) so I don't know if real time data is going to help me improve my numbers anyway. What's been your experience?

Finally, so you don't think I'm a complete wuss, I do indeed hammer the turbo occasionally. Fantastic how a 5k truck responds to the loud pedal :gearjamin.

Finally, finally, what did you do with your Ultrgauge?

Best wishes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts