Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Vendor
Discussion Starter #1
So many times we hear questions or see threads about diesel fuel, why use fuel additives and everything in between. Mark Nyholm, AMSOIL Technical Manager for HD and Mechanicle R&D recently published an article about Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel and the fact it does NOT provide sufficient lubricity for our fuel systems.

Here is a link to the article.

For many years now we at Synthetic Motorsports have recommended using Fuel Additives on a regular basis to all our customers.

There are many good additives out there. Opti-Lube, AMSOIL, Stanadyne, FPPF and a few others. I personally have seen the best results from Opti-Lube XPD and AMSOIL Diesel Injector Clean + Cetane Boost (ADS).

Take a few minutes and read the article. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Mark Nyholm said:
Boy, were people angry.
They knew Sulfur helped protect their fuel pump and injectors from wear.
While he does explain it differently (in detail) further down in the article, correcting the statement above, many have this wrong idea about ULSD vs LSD.

S is NOT and Never was, a lubricant.
It's the process of Removing S, that also removes the natural lubricants in Diesel fuel.

This misunderstanding has actually led people to try and add S back to their fuel. 'uhNo

Reactions: mrmanners

Received a Hummer
While he does explain it differently (in detail) further down in the article, correcting the statement above, many have this wrong idea about ULSD vs LSD.

It's the process of Removing S, that also removes the natural lubricants in Diesel fuel.

This misunderstanding has actually led people to try and add S back to their fuel. 'uhNo
I've been adding 1 gallon of KY to help mine out every tank... so that's bad? :D

Registered

I have seen articles that talk about the lubrication within ULSD. One thing I found interesting is that bio diesel blends do add a significant amount of lubrication. The bio stuff that is blended into regular ULSD will replace some of the lubricaton lost by the process of the sulfur removal. There are other reasons why I don't care for the bio blended stuff but it looks like lubrication properties is not one of them. Dean

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
so long as its not the warming formula i think you fine, gotta keep those EGT's down you know.
yeah, KY with 'menthol'....not the way to go. :teehee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts