Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Would you sell your truck deleted or return it to stock?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so now your thinking what idiot would go thru all the cost and trouble to delete an LML then un-delete it later on. Well, someone who has deleted and has decided to sell their truck and has found it very hard to trade in to a major dealer or sell to a major chain like carmax. 'uhNo

I ask this question because I am near to the end of my warranty and considering a full delete and CP3 upgrade. I would like to have the option to be able to put the truck back to factory in the future to either sell it off or trade it.

My real concern is how successful would I be. If all the equipment was returned to its original configuration and a factory tune loaded what would be the chances that everything would work. Would the ECM start dropping codes like crazy or would thing just work much like a computer frozen in time.

I know most of you are saying why not just sell it on the open market, this is getting harder to do. Also, deleted trucks seem to sell for a great deal less then those that haven't been touched. Somewhat crazy when you consider the deleted trucks usually have had more money dumped into them, run better and are stonger.

My game plan would be to use industrial's emissions freindly CP4 to CP3 conversion with an aftermarket towing tune, EGR blockoff plate, DPF delete with muffler, removal of DEF tank. SCR and everything else stays in place. Run it for a couple of years, then put everything back BUT the CP4 and use the factory tune. According to the vendors this should work fine, I somewhat question this.... :rolleyes:

Opinions please! :smile2:

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I would only delete it, if I was plagued by emission equipment failures.

My LML runs great with everything still in place, and a emissions compliant tune.

If your only running the truck for a few years, why mess with it at all?

·
Registered
250 Posts
This is something I am curious about as well, I can let you know in 2018 when it comes time to smog mine Pray

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
Many people return their trucks to stock form to pass a smog every year or every other year. Once you hook all the stuff back up the truck runs like it did before the deletes. & I've heard of those selling their deleted form truck to dealers with no problems.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would only delete it, if I was plagued by emission equipment failures.

My LML runs great with everything still in place, and a emissions compliant tune.

If your only running the truck for a few years, why mess with it at all?
I guess my big issue is the damn CP4, a time bomb just waiting to go off and a real problem if your out of warranty!:frown2:

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
I guess my big issue the the damn CP4, a time bomb just waiting to go off and a real problem if your out of warranty!:frown2:

It's not that much of a time bomb. If you look at posts and even here on forum where you would expect it to much higher it's not.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Good fuel, good filters and change them regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not that much of a time bomb. If you look at posts and even here on forum where you would expect it to much higher it's not.
I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Good fuel, good filters and change them regularly.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DirtyEmax, thanks for the advise, I did stumble on something interesting, I logged into the Chevrolet Owners center to review when my warranty expires and found out I had additional coverage I was not aware of. These are denoted as "Special Coverage Warranty". There were 3 of them applied to the regeneration/smog systems on my truck that had failed for the original owner. As a result my coverage extends into 2019.

So, considering all of this crap will be under warranty for some time I plan on staying as is and let GM eat it if (or when) it fails.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I guess my big issue is the damn CP4, a time bomb just waiting to go off and a real problem if your out of warranty!:frown2:
Poll (on this site) of LML owners finds about 7% CP4 failures.

Not good, but hardly a time-bomb.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
Poll (on this site) of LML owners finds about 7% CP4 failures.

Not good, but hardly a time-bomb.
that is still a high percentage to me on a $10kish failure when it does happen. I just traded in my LML on a L5P because i didnt want to worry about the Cp4 anymore and didnt feel like doing a conversion lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know most of you are saying why not just sell it on the open market, this is getting harder to do. Also, deleted trucks seem to sell for a great deal less then those that haven't been touched. Somewhat crazy when you consider the deleted trucks usually have had more money dumped into them, run better and are stonger.
My first thought when seeing a deleted/tuned vehicle of any kind for sale is that it has probably had the piss run out of it. No thanks!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
My first thought when seeing a deleted/tuned vehicle of any kind for sale is that it has probably had the piss run out of it. No thanks!
You know, that pretty much nails it. When I look for a new vehicle I ignore the modified ones entirely unless I know the owner. Lifted, deleted, tuned or whate ever, it doesn't matter. There are two kinds of people who mod their rides. Those who just like to be different and maybe upgrade a little and those who want more from the vehicle so they can use it more. I believe there are a certain number of horsepower hours in most engines. You can spread them out over a lot of years and miles or you can use them up really fast. Modded trucks tend to get used up really fast.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all in favor of making it your own. Just don't expect anybody to believe you drove it nice when it will smoke all 4 tires from a stop light. Sure you only wanted to do a little towing with it but I would see it as a street racer and I wouldn't care what you said otherwise.

If I found out that someone had "unmodded" their truck to sell it to me I'd be upset. In fact I'd probably sue.

If you don't want it for yourself and plan to keep it long term then don't do it.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would have agree with you on this. I can remember back a number of years ago when I saw one drop dead super clean vette at a Chevy dealership. The car ran fantastic BUT had an aftermarket supercharger on it. The sale price was a few thousands less then another one of the same year next to it. As much as I wanted it I started thinking perhaps this might not be a good idea, especially when the non-modified had a warranty and the modded vette in question did not.

That in itself put up the red flag and I passed on it. There probably was nothing wrong and it, maybe because of the aftermarket parts perhaps the dealer could not warranty it. Obviously the original owner took great pride and care of it, but you just don't know when it comes to "USED" and dealers know how to polish a potential turd into a gem. lol

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I'm all about modding. I want to put my own flavor to it. However I understand that my taste might not be someone else's. Having said that I know for a fact that when I traded my Camaro in for my truck the car was gone off the lot in 2 days. there are people out there that will buy modded and used just because the price is all inclusive. you can always go buy an aftermarket warranty for your vehicle. now I know I would never buy any modded vehicle because I know how I drive mine and I'm assuming the only reason someone added eight turbos and a 500 shot of NO2 was because they wanted to go fast and abuse the damn thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm new to the forum as well as the diesel world so take my opinion with a grain of salt. We bought our first ever Duramax last fall. It is a '15 3500HD DRW 4WD LTZ and had 79K on it at the time. We knew the previous owner and the truck was stock, untouched with all service records and clean as a pin. On top of that the price was hard to pass up.

Ours isn't a daily driver and it has 2 years and 20K miles left on the warranty. I'll most likely time out before I hit 100K. I bought this truck to keep forever (yeah, we all know how that goes.) Over the past 4 months I've tried to learn as much as I can about the LML and it's issues including the CP4 problem. I've also done extensive research on whether or not to delete. After all that I've decided to keep it stock. I'll continue to add Stanadyne at each fill-up and am going to do a lift pump and CP3 conversion one day. We only use the truck to run to Lowe's on the weekend for lumber, plants, etc., tow an enclosed trailer/race car a handful of times each year (8K total weight), and run around town for errands on the weekends. I'll also use it when we take long trips within the state for weekend getaways to the beach, etc.

Why do I need to delete? I only tow 8K and this truck doesn't even know that's back there. Why more power? I have plenty. I'm not having any issues (knock on wood) and even though I hope this is the last truck I ever buy I don't want to deal with the trade-in issues of being deleted. Better fuel mileage? How much really can it improve and if it does it's going to be minimal and never good enough to recoup the cost of deleting/tuning. My biggest thing is though, after having modified/raced fuel-injected cars over the last 15 years, you're always at the mercy of the tuner/tune and if it's not quite right you could hurt parts and forever be chasing the "perfect" tune. Been there, spent a bunch of time and money, done that. No thanks.

I love our truck the way it is and other the few minor changes mentioned above it's perfect as it is for us and we don't plan to delete/tune unless someone can convince me otherwise.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
That is an absolutely reasonable way to go about it. Just because most of the guys here want to tweak every part of the truck doesn't mean the rest have to. Keeping it stock for a while and doing a few well chosen mods as the warranty expires is probably the most logical plan one could have. It may not be not the most fun plan though.

I could see you adding a fuel filter upgrade at some point and maybe a set of wheels when the loan is paid off. There will surely be floor mats, mud flaps, a bed liner or some other personalizations in the future too. It just happens. The thing is, though, staying conservative offers the most bang for the buck and the fewest regrets. You can always change your mind too. You don't need to be a woman to do that.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
We should keep an eye on this thread for another year or two. A few strandings and/or multi-thousand dollar repair bills will have some influence.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I find this conversation interesting. I thought myself I would never delete my truck, but after having def issues during the -30 degree winters up here it pretty much made up my mind. The 21 MPG I get is another bonus. Getting back to the whole buying a deleted truck, I myself would never buy one deleted unless I knew who the owner was or I saw a meticulous service record that was maintained for the vehicle. I am anal when it comes to taking care of my truck. I write down the date, mileage, and engine hours that every filter is changed (oil, air, cabin, transmission, fuel) tires are rotated and so on. Hell, I even write down when I grease the front end of the truck. What I am getting at is there are a lot of people that rip on their trucks for a couple years and sell it that give guys that delete their truck this image of someone that doesn't care about their truck and just beat on it.

When or if I ever sell my truck I would probably try to sell it deleted with my maintenance record (excel spreadsheet) hoping someone sees that I take care of my vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I have the lml duramax and I’m honestly at a loss on what too do...My truck was deleted by the last owner is there an easy way too go.??By either putting a tuner on it.?Or setting it back too factory settings.? Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well if the previous owner provided you with the parts removed, then your 1/2 way there. If not, hope you can find used as a new DPF alone will hurt the wallet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts