Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Understanding Idler/Pitman,tie rods etc..

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  tclouse1 
#1 ·
Trying to figure out why my truck pulls to the right. My LMM has a 6" lift,doesn't look like anything fancy lift wise. And Front right tire has more wear on it. I have adjusted psi and nothing seems to fix the problem. The guy I bought the pick up from claimed he just had an alignment done but I'm Starting to think there is more to it than that. Problem is I don't really know how to see or tell if idler,pitman tie rods or anything else down there needs replaced. Not sure what they all really do. Was hoping for some education on here on what to look for,what it could be and what the idler arm,pitman and tie rods actually do or if there is anything else I need to look at.
Thanks fellas

#2 ·
Not sure if you posted anywhere else and got a reply or not yet, but jack up the truck and get someone to turn the wheel back and forth while you are in a position where you can see the idler/pitman arms. If theyre wore out (which they may be with that lift and tire setup) they will have play in them. Your centerlink will rotate when the steering is cycled if they are wore out. Also you could have ball joint issues as well. Take it to a (good) alignment shop and ask them to check your front end parts when they do it. They should do this anyway before they ever do an alignment but i have come across some that dont. Also with that setup i would recommend getting Cognitos idler and pitman arm support kit and if its not done already look into sleeving the tie rods or getting beefier ones installed.

#3 ·
Also forgot to ask is the one tire that has more wear on it wore evenly or is it on the inside/outside?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.