Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was working on my 02 lb7 and accidentally left the key on when I was done, and the key stayed in the on position for about half the day. Truck started without issue and ran fine afterwards. This morning I went to get in my truck and noticed a huge puddle under my truck that seemed dark like engine oil but had mostly dried up and was residue. I planned on doing an oil change soon anyway so started to drain the oil and drained approximately 4+ gallons out of it and it should’ve only had 2.5 gallons max. After the oil change I haven’t noticed any more leaks or drips at all. Not sure if the key being on could’ve caused fuel to pump somewhere it should not have the entire time? Or do I have a bad injector and it has been putting fuel in the motor and With time it finally had too much in it and caused the leak? Just seemed like weird timing to have the leak and large puddle the morning after I left my key on for an extended time. Hoping injectors are not going bad. Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yesterday I was working on my 02 lb7 and accidentally left the key on when I was done, and the key stayed in the on position for about half the day. Truck started without issue and ran fine afterwards. This morning I went to get in my truck and noticed a huge puddle under my truck that seemed dark like engine oil but had mostly dried up and was residue. I planned on doing an oil change soon anyway so started to drain the oil and drained approximately 4+ gallons out of it and it should’ve only had 2.5 gallons max. After the oil change I haven’t noticed any more leaks or drips at all. Not sure if the key being on could’ve caused fuel to pump somewhere it should not have the entire time? Or do I have a bad injector and it has been putting fuel in the motor and With time it finally had too much in it and caused the leak? Just seemed like weird timing to have the leak and large puddle the morning after I left my key on for an extended time. Hoping injectors are not going bad. Any help with this issue would be appreciated.
Key being on is unrelated. Duramaxes use a high pressure CP3 fuel pump that pulls fuel from the tank using vacuum and then pressurizes it before feeding it to the injectors. Only way an injector could be leaking is if the engine was cranking. The puddle you found probably needs investigating and so does the oil you pulled from the pan. Maybe send it in to be tested or put a few drops on a paper towel to see if the fuel creates a wet “ring” around the oil splotch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the help. Anywhere specifically I should start looking? Not sure why I would have drained 4+ gallons of oil unless an injector has been leaking since my last oil change

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Appreciate the help. Anywhere specifically I should start looking? Not sure why I would have drained 4+ gallons of oil unless an injector has been leaking since my last oil change
Either check the balance rates on the injectors or send in your oil to get it tested to see how much fuel is in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
Its either a cracked body or leaking return line on an lb7. Probably have so much in it its leaking out crank case vent. In my opinion Sending your oil out would be useless at this point. Anything more than 10 quarts is diesel. Have the balance rates checked AND return rates checked. You can have good balance rates and still have bad injectors. Keep checking the oil as you drive for dilution. After you fix the issue and do a fresh oil change then i would get an oil analysis to see if running it with that much diesel in it did any harm. I doubt it did much if any. Ive seen them push it out the valve covers and still be fine and run many many more miles.

Reactions: DMAXfirefighter
1 - 6 of 6 Posts