Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello this is my first post on the forum i'm half way through installing a 68mm ryans diesel service turbo on my lml. I bumped one of the up pipe bolts and it fell in the oil drain hole its not magnetic for whatever stupid reason i've tried on the other bolts i had my sister feel in there because she has smaller fingers and she can feel it and i can hear the bolt making noises when she does i've tried grabbers i've tried needle nose pliers i've tried using a shop vac to suck it out and i even tried putting glue on my sisters fingers and her pulling it out but it kept falling off the hole goes down and then curves back twoards the front of the truck so i'm not sure what i can do i've called ryans diesel service and they said i need to get that bolt out of i'll blow a gasket on the new turbo and i can't afford that thank you!

·
Registered
281 Posts
You mite try a pair of long surgical tweezers

·
Registered
352 Posts
You tried one of these yet?

·
Registered
2011 Crew Cab 4x4 dullie LTZ
25 Posts
Could you use a piece of wire with RTV or 3M weather adhesive on the end and let dry for maybe five to ten minutes so that is it still pliable and then try to pull up and out?

·
Registered
2017 2500HD LTZ Z71 Custom Sport Ed, MW7
42 Posts
If your sister can touch it with her fingers, it will take a surgical style touch, but hemo stats should work. Bolt is likely stainless, so a retriever wouldn't get it. The grabber might require you bending the small strips on the end outward a bit to grab the width of the bolt head.
Or you might try this: https://www.amazon.com/Endoscope-Wireless-Borescope-Inspection-Flexible/dp/B07Z8SQ6T5

If fact, as cheap as that is, I might get one just to have around. Never tried this brand, so don't come at me if it is crap.;)
Eyebrow Medical equipment Product Hypodermic needle Cosmetics

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If your sister can touch it with her fingers, it will take a surgical style touch, but hemo stats should work. Bolt is likely stainless, so a retriever wouldn't get it. The grabber might require you bending the small strips on the end outward a bit to grab the width of the bolt head.
Or you might try this: https://www.amazon.com/Endoscope-Wireless-Borescope-Inspection-Flexible/dp/B07Z8SQ6T5

If fact, as cheap as that is, I might get one just to have around. Never tried this brand, so don't come at me if it is crap.;)
View attachment 1094334
looks like a good one i already got a inspection camera and can't even find it

·
Registered
2011 Crew Cab 4x4 dullie LTZ
25 Posts
If you can’t see it with the camera just maybe it has fallen though into the pan. I would now drain oil and use the camera through the oil drain plug to see if is laying in the oil pan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you can’t see it with the camera just maybe it has fallen though into the pan. I would now drain oil and use the camera through the oil drain plug to see if is laying in the oil pan.
Smart hopefully this forum helps someone else at some point i gave up had it towed to the shop i trust the most they can't look at it until a week i hope i don't get screwed and end up blowing a turbo but i'm only 16 and shouldn't have taken on that job it took me over a month to get where i am now and i had enough shit and ain't got no time i hope the shop doesn't screw me but yea thanks y'all for all the tips

·
Registered
465 Posts
Good luck. Sometimes just recognizing you are a little over your head is a good thing. You might pay for it but at least you know it should be done properly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good luck. Sometimes just recognizing you are a little over your head is a good thing. You might pay for it but at least you know it should be done properly.
Thanks! the shop got it out for all y'all wondering they put it in my hand and it had glue on it so i was close! they charged $400 and they are charging $2000 to finish the job

1 - 19 of 19 Posts