Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Recently ripped out the old EGR from the LMM. I ordered a cheap Amazon LB7 up pipe and I'm curious about the fitment. I've had a very minor exhaust leak ever since I put it all together and just can't seem to pin it down. The placement of my up pipe concerns me as it appears to be making contact with the valve cover. Can anyone post pics so I can verify they are not supposed to touch? Photos of mine attached. Also, recommendations on a good passenger side up pipe? I'll pay the price for the GM one but if I can get a bit of an upgrade I wouldn't mind that as well.

·
Registered
140 Posts

I’m happy with the ppe pipe. Think it was $130 or so on eBay.

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did pressurize the exhaust system with an air compressor/ regulator and an adapter I made to fit on the tailpipe. I have a leak at one of the clamps new the back of the truck, so I couldn't get any pressure to build. Then I found it leaking heavily at the turbo/ downpipe connection. Swapped that out for an MBRP downpipe and the leak got quieter. Just ordered a PPE up pipe so we'll see if that fixed it up. If not, guess I'll order a new tailpipe to seal up where it had previously rusted out. This is one of the things I hate about being a perfectionist.

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So new PPE Up Pipe is installed, as well as a new Turbo to Downpipe clamp and the MBRP downpipe. Test drove and the leak is FINALLY GONE. I can't even express how happy that makes me. I think the cheap Amazon up pipe wasn't quite the right shape, not allowing it to fully seal as well as making contact with my valve cover. The PPE up pipe is so much of a better quality and fit. Here's the final product. Notice how the bellow placement fits perfectly around the cylinder head/ valve cover. Nice work PPE!

Reactions: Elcamino

·
Registered
140 Posts
They also make a bracket to hold your downpipe in place. Supposed to keep it from cracking or something.

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They also make a bracket to hold your downpipe in place. Supposed to keep it from cracking or something.
I don't think the bracket would hurt anything, but I have a hard time believing that it actually helps anything. With a community as big as ours, and I haven't ever heard of issues from no bracket.

Reactions: Elcamino
1 - 6 of 6 Posts