Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I FINALLY did it and all in all am very happy. My truck was at 265K miles and the front end had never been replaced, including shocks. My new job will require more driving (construction sales) so I figured putting between $6-7K in her was better than buying a new truck. All in all the project went well for the most part but took my mechanic a while longer than planned due to some strange shipping problems.

Here's what I did, which included using my local mechanic for the installs:
New Kryptonite upper/lower ball joint Package Deal (DMax Store)
DMAXSTORE XD Front End Package Stage 2 w/ Kryptonite Sway Bar End Links (0-2" Lift)
Moog XD Pitman and Idler arms.
Bilstein B8 5100 Series Shocks and Steering Stabilizer
Blue Top Steering Box
Intermediate and Lower Steering Shaft (OEM from DMax Store)
w/ Steering Shaft Bearing (which my mechanic's guy left off and now I have a band clamp around the column that takes most of the rattle out until I take it back.)
PowerStop Z36 Severe-Duty Truck And Tow Brake Kit (front and rear rotors/pads) *
Stainless Steel Brake Lines from DMax Store
New OEM ABS ECM Module w/ programming.
Misc Bushings, wheel bearings and other parts.
(6) new Yokohama GEOLANDAR庐 H/T G056 E Rated TIres
Differential fluids changed
Full front end alignment
*Only received one driver's side rear rotor, so ordered replacement from JEGS (different vendor) and only received one rear passenger side rotor.....the one I actually needed so go figure on that one. I got a $400+ credit from Amazon and a $120 credit from JEGS so netted the full brake set for right at $150. Not bad, but cost me more than a week downtime.

Truck drives like a totally different truck. The steering still makes some groaning noises on hot days and/or she has been drove for a while, but I believe that's coming from the power assist module which has some age on it. All in all am very happy now with this truck and feel like the steering and suspension is ready for anything I throw at it. I tow a 16' 6-ton rated equipment trailer a few times a month and haul light to heavy loads several times a month. Probably went a little bit overkill but figured would beef her up a little while we were in there doing all that work.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Auto part
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Alloy wheel Automotive design

Tire Automotive tire Tread Gas Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Bicycle tire Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Water Automotive tire Liquid Wood Rim
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Registered
Nice work! Made her new again. Its hard to realize exactly HOW bad it is until you feel what it supposed to feel like. I too soon will likely be buying a blue top. I've heard/read good things.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice work! Made her new again. Its hard to realize exactly HOW bad it is until you feel what it supposed to feel like. I too soon will likely be buying a blue top. I've heard/read good things.
Thanks man. Was several days late getting the core back to them but they were really good folks and received a full core refund. Truck is solid as a rock and after a couple of weeks feels like it has settled in nicely. That steering column bearing being left off was real knucklehead but my mechanic will make it right. Also with the truck being on his yard for several weeks, I now have a tiny door dent that he has to fix too. I always get real nervous with a vehicle at a mechanic shop for more than a day or so. LOL He's a good mechanic though and stands behind his work.
(Posted a pic of the truck. Still looks real good if I say so myself.)

Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
Not bad. If the front end has truly never been touched, then I would've put a bit more into it than what you did. I JUST finished (on 9/16. having started the thursday the week of labor day weekend) an entire front end rebuild with the steering and suspension. I just turned 191K on my 07 lbz. And from the looks of it, mine too had never been touched with the exception of one front shock and axle i replaced a little while back. my brakes were so bad my foot was almost on the floor trying to stop. turns out the rear brakes weren't even moving or doing anything at all. pads were disintegrated and seized. I too went with the powerstop Z36 kit. after that, and a full fluid change, they were considerably better than before. but there was still room for improvement i could tell. it wasn't until i replaced the hydroboost and PS pump with lines I then had my brakes working like new again.
I do have one question though. did you replace the inboard bushings on both upper and lower control arms on both sides? I can say for almost certain they needed to be done at that mileage.
Here's a list of the work I just completed last week. I had done the brakes back in March this year. Feels like a brand new truck

PSC steering box
Moog HD pitman
External tooth star washer
Moog HD idler with bracket
Cognito PISK
Energy suspension sway bar bushings/brackets
Dmax store tie rods
Cognito sway bar endlinks
AC delco lower arms with polys
Kryptonite uppers
Timken wheel bearings
New GM wheel bearing o-rings
New GM bump stops
Bilstein 5100 shocks and steering damper
Kryptonite leveling keys
Borgeson steering shaft
Trans/tcase brace
Torsion bar crossmember poly bushings
LML hydro boost with new lines
LMM PS pump
ProFab 2鈥 headers and up pipes
Magnaflow 3鈥 downpipe
Magnaflow 5鈥 catback
Magnaflow 5-6鈥 exhaust tip
Pro Comp series 45 wheels with copper A/T tires

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not bad. If the front end has truly never been touched, then I would've put a bit more into it than what you did. I JUST finished (on 9/16. having started the thursday the week of labor day weekend) an entire front end rebuild with the steering and suspension. I just turned 191K on my 07 lbz. And from the looks of it, mine too had never been touched with the exception of one front shock and axle i replaced a little while back. my brakes were so bad my foot was almost on the floor trying to stop. turns out the rear brakes weren't even moving or doing anything at all. pads were disintegrated and seized. I too went with the powerstop Z36 kit. after that, and a full fluid change, they were considerably better than before. but there was still room for improvement i could tell. it wasn't until i replaced the hydroboost and PS pump with lines I then had my brakes working like new again.
I do have one question though. did you replace the inboard bushings on both upper and lower control arms on both sides? I can say for almost certain they needed to be done at that mileage.
Here's a list of the work I just completed last week. I had done the brakes back in March this year. Feels like a brand new truck

PSC steering box
Moog HD pitman
Cognito PISK
Dmax store tie rods
Kryptonite uppers
Timken wheel bearings
New GM bump stops
Kryptonite leveling keys
Borgeson steering shaft
Trans/tcase brace
LMM PS pump
Magnaflow 3鈥 downpipe
Magnaflow 5鈥 catback
I will confirm with my mechanic. He did say that he replaced the "front bushings", but honestly I had not zero in on exactly what that meant. He also did the wheel bearings so I would "assume" he did the bushings....but definitely need to confirm that. Also I agree on the power boost, power steering pump and lines. Guess that will be next because as you said, things are waaaaaaaaay better but the pedal still goes down a bit and the full tune steering makes that groaning noise at times.

Thanks for the feedback man - btw: Sounds like a real nice truck you have there for sure!

Registered
2007 classic silverado

PSC steering box
Moog HD pitman
Cognito PISK
Dmax store tie rods
Kryptonite uppers
Timken wheel bearings
New GM bump stops
Kryptonite leveling keys
Borgeson steering shaft
Trans/tcase brace
LMM PS pump
Magnaflow 3鈥 downpipe
Magnaflow 5鈥 catback
How do you like the PSC steering box? I've heard really good things about them.

Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
How do you like the PSC steering box? I've heard really good things about them.
Well I only have a little over 100 miles on it. but so far so good.steering is tight and smooth. i filled the system with GM fluid and proper ratio of no more friction/mo-glide additive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts