Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2018 3500HD D/A. Just got an email with an offer to upgrade my GPS maps for $99.99, supposedly a $60 saving. Is there a cheaper way to get this done or do I have to bite the bullet if I wanna upgrade the maps?

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Mine is a '15 and I think I bought the map update last year for the same, $99. Not sure if it's worth it for one year. Your call.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have been on unmapped routes but it still navigated.Just couldn’t see the road on screen.No big deal for me.

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,467 Posts
Check eBay. I got updated maps and firmware CD’s for $50.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
I've got a 2018 3500HD D/A. Just got an email with an offer to upgrade my GPS maps for $99.99, supposedly a $60 saving. Is there a cheaper way to get this done or do I have to bite the bullet if I wanna upgrade the maps?
Android Auto or CarPlay will let you run current maps from your phone -- instead of the trucks nav -- for no extra cost.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the info and ideas. Just gripes me to have to pay that kind of money for a crummy gps map update after shelling out the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the truck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
GM doesn't make the maps. They buy TomTom or Navionics or some other nav supplier. What GM charges is probably a pass through charge with a markup.

As redwngr posted, just use Android Auto or CarPlay. Your phone has better maps and it's free except for carrier data charges.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2020 gmc maps are junk. Took me to the wrong location the other day. I had to end up using my phones google maps to get to where I was going.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Gps

My 2020 gmc maps are junk. Took me to the wrong location the other day. I had to end up using my phones google maps to get to where I was going.
Kind of like the GPS on Harleys … the whole system is junk IMO
better off using the google maps on phone
I have run both and omg get tired of bad info from the truck ones

Reactions: 600+ duramax

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is a shot of the new CarPlay with iOS 13. Apple updated their map app so it's pretty decent now. My go-to is still Waze. There is good functioning with maps, phone, texts and music apps. I like the new CarPlay.

Note. The song shown is Jason Boland's Telephone Romeo. That is not Jason Boland calling me. :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. I really like the truck nav system and have found it to work well. Looked on ebay but did not see latest update. Seems like something you could buy and resell for a few $$$ less and keep passing it on.

·
Registered
408 Posts
OK...I just ordered it. I will update the post once I install it. I will sell it on eBay to recoup some of the cost. Whoever buys it could do the same and so on. Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 GMC 1500 SLT w/LM2 Diesel
15 Posts
I just bought a 2018, what is the current version available?

·
Administrator
16,973 Posts
This is a shot of the new CarPlay with iOS 13. Apple updated their map app so it's pretty decent now. My go-to is still Waze. There is good functioning with maps, phone, texts and music apps. I like the new CarPlay.

Note. The song shown is Jason Boland's Telephone Romeo. That is not Jason Boland calling me. :wink2:
I hope Waze can show in that screen soon, Carplay is the way to go. Has traffic, up to date info, etc, etc, etc...

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
2 Posts
I use a Garmin GPS, the updates are free

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am also not at all impressed with the GMC GPS system. Wrong direction, inability to locate significant towns, missing roads that have been in existence for years. I have used a separate Garmin or just my phone.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I use a Garmin GPS, the updates are free
When we travel & have to rent a car we normally take our Garmin since the rental car is cheaper if you don't get one w/navigation. Well, we just got back from a trip where we took the Garmin to use. Rental car didn't have any built in nav as expected, but it also didn't have a 12v plug in the Garmin could use (i.e. no cigarette lighter receptacle)!! First time I've seen that in any car (our rental was a 2019 Buick Enclave). The rental did have a carplay app so we used that & all was good.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts