Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to replace my water pump on my LBZ and I'm going to go ahead and change hoses while I am draining the system. Is there any performance improvement on silicone hoses? Or other hoses for that matter? I do a lot of heavy pulling with my truck and would like to see cooler temperatures if there is an option. If they aren't worth the money I'll stick to OEM as I don't really care about looks in the engine bay that much. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The truck I bought recently has PPE silicone hoses on it. I have one that won't stop seeping unless I have the hose clamp coming off the water pump in a specific orientation. If I pull them off again for anything I'm going to replace with stock, not worth the trouble IMO. Radiator hoses won't get you any type of cooling benefit. Only thing I've read is the silicone hoses can be replaced in sections, rather than having to replace an entire molded assembly.

Reactions: Javallier

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Gates makes fine hoses, I replaced mine and have had no problems. MUCH Less expensive than factory.

While you are in there you have to remove the fan anyway, replace the Fan Clutch. Id also change the Serpentine Belt both Idler Pulleys and the Tensioner Pulley and the O-ring for the crossover tube and both thermostats.

If you do not replace all those you will, sooner rather than later be going back in there to do oe of the at a time. LOTS of work! Id rather one and done, If for no other reason but my own peace of mind.

Id source those at Rock Auto...........IMHO you will find them all there for less money than locally. Id get the Gates water pump from them as well.

Reactions: Javallier

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have actually just changed fan clutch and thermostats earlier this year. I might do the belt and pulleys while I am in there. This will actually be the third drain of the coolant this year lol. But with the work I put the truck through, it's not hurting anything lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts