Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my last thread, you guys were awesome helping me figure out that the ONLY reason to upgrade my current LLY with 165k miles that runs wonderfully, was to pick up dually for better camper/towing capabilities. I'm thinking......

What year going up passing my 04.5 should I look at? It's funny, my truck is all I know. :cookoo[1]:

What year (to keep cost down) would be my best bet to stay away from HG failures?

·
Super Moderator
1,166 Posts
Any 2006+ truck will work fine, an LBZ would be the cheapest truck to buy that is nearly free of head gasket issues (it can still happen, just really really rarely). Additionally, you could spend a little more to get the newer body style LMM Duramax, or spend a lot more and get an LML Duramax.

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
I'd stay with an lbz great truck work 99% of the bug out and it's still pre emission

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
stay with the lbz! its a great platform, pre smog night mare.

I love the look of the dually, leveled, it bad a$$ looking. Just the ride will jar those kidneys!

·
WOOD... man!
4,209 Posts
I've been pretty happy with the 06 I got in October. Seems pretty solid so far. The price on the one in the craigslist ad isn't too far off (just a tad high) but in the upper end of the ball park as long as it's in great shape. If not, keep searching. I couldn't believe how much those things were holding their value when I was searching. I'm closing in on 200k miles quickly.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The dually rides nowhere near what dukcaln claims. Test drive one and you'll see. I'm 70 and I've done a couple of 850-1000 mi days in mine just in the last 2 weeks, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
06-07 lbz.

·
Registered
333 Posts
On my last thread, you guys were awesome helping me figure out that the ONLY reason to upgrade my current LLY with 165k miles that runs wonderfully, was to pick up dually for better camper/towing capabilities. I'm thinking......

What year going up passing my 04.5 should I look at? It's funny, my truck is all I know. :cookoo[1]:

What year (to keep cost down) would be my best bet to stay away from HG failures?
Why not keep your current truck and convert to DRW? Maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking it would be way easy then starting all over and probably way cheaper too. Especially if your current truck is paid off...

·
WOOD... man!
4,209 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Is that an option?
From what reading and research I've done, yes it is. I'm in pretty much the same situation you are, I own a 2500 HD but now need a 3500 DRW for the added stability and ability to handle heavier 5th wheel pin weight. Now, the reading I've done on here and several other forums state that the 3500's have a little more in the rear spring pack over the 2500's but that's about it. There are the obvious differences in bed and wheels but they share the same frame, engine, transmission, and rear end.

Instead of going with 3500 springs I've added the Firestone Ride Rite load leveling air bags. Next will be locating a dually bed and a set of dually wheels. I'm very happy with my truck and very reluctant to part with it, plus it's paid off!

Hopefully someone that has done the conversion will chime in, but there are many threads here and other forums with plenty of info about it.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
The newer dually ride a lot better than the older ones. I love mine.

·
Registered
633 Posts
if you decide to look a the 2007.5+ lmm's they haul, pull, and ride very good. I was VERY pleased with the 2008 I had as a work truck for 3 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts