Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to upgrade the original brake lines on my 07' Classic. That may help the spongy pedal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2006 LBZ CCSB Leveled, Hypertech Programmer, 2008 LMM WT, 2008 Gasser WT
207 Posts
Crown Performance steel braided lines are DOT approved and they have good customer service.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,245 Posts
Crown or Russell 672440 for the Classics.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,515 Posts
The hard lines won't change your spongey pedal. Changing the hoses, or just flushing the brake fluid to all fresh will likely make a difference. But unless the hard lines are leaking and needing changed anyway, new hard lines will not change how spongey they are

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had to replace the ABS valve body on mine. That was after replacing the hoses, lines, and master.

·
Premium Member
2006 LBZ CCSB Leveled, Hypertech Programmer, 2008 LMM WT, 2008 Gasser WT
207 Posts
Crown or Russell 672440 for the Classics.
Did Russell recently get DOT approval? When I was looking for lines for my truck, I'm pretty sure they weren't but their website now says they are.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Two years ago I got a complete stainless brake line and hose kit from SStubes.com for my 06 lbz 2500hd crew cab 4x drive, for 300 bucks on sale at the time. I hired a local repair shop to install and they said it took 8 hours with no major issues. This kit did not require dropping the fuel tank as others do.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,515 Posts
Two years ago I got a complete stainless brake line and hose kit from SStubes.com for my 06 lbz 2500hd crew cab 4x drive, for 300 bucks on sale at the time. I hired a local repair shop to install and they said it took 8 hours with no major issues. This kit did not require dropping the fuel tank as others do.
Holy crap, a repair shop took 8hrs? :surprise:

A friend and I have done three sets of stainless brake line replacements on these trucks- his 2004 LLY, my 2002 LB7, and another friends 2006 LBZ. The kits came from Rock Auto but I'm not sure its available now... But geez, we did it in less than two hours on each truck, including completely bleeding the system. And we installed braided stainless hoses too!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to order the Crown lines.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,515 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to order the Crown lines.
Before you do that, like I said to begin with, are you SURE you want to go through the hassle of replacing the lines if you don't need to? Because the lines aren't going to change your spongey pedal. You might just need to change the brake fluid first and see what that does.

Unless you're worried about the lines anyway, then by all means go ahead and don't wait on a blown line at a bad time. But changing the hard lines in itself will not change spongey brakes

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How is changing out the brake fluid going to stiffen up the brake pedal?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,245 Posts
Brake fluid decays, absorbs water, grows algae, lowers boiling point.....should be flushed yearly.
Open the master and look, if it's green, it's past time.
Keep the fluid fresh and many of the system components will never fail.

And then there's the PS fluid and it's affect on the Booster. Another fluid to keep fresh and can affect your pedal feel.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,515 Posts
How is changing out the brake fluid going to stiffen up the brake pedal?
Contamination due to age, heat, moisture. Brake fluid should be maintained and changed periodically just as other fluids in vehicles. Probably 90% of the time it is something that is overlooked

Just like me asking how changing hard lines that don't move, swell, or give will stiffen up the pedal? Hoses, ok, yes, they move, swell, contract and create that issue. But a hard pipe break line will not change a spongey brake pedal either.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I'm going to have my brake fluid flushed before doing anything else.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,245 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts