Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a reason NOT to switch to a 20" stock wheel. The wife has 18" wheels and tires on her 2017 Z71 Tahoe. Have come across a set of 20" take off wheels and tires from a 2022 Tahoe. Would there be a problem with the computer, abs, traction control etc switching over? The only obvious reason I could see is if she had a flat and needed to use the spare. The stock tires are 265/65R18, the new take offs are 275/60R20. Would the rolling circumference be close?

·
Registered
721 Posts
You would need to look up the brand and model of each tire to know exactly the difference in diameter between the two.

But just looking at a general size comparison between the two, the 275/60/20 is about 1.43” bigger in diameter.

With that said there would be no problem going to the 20” setup. Just double check the wheels have the same bolt pattern. I don’t think they changed from 2017 to 2022 based on my internet search.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Going from 18" to 20" tires you may may feel the ride is not as pleasant because there's less sidewall to absorb bumps. The diameter difference in the spare and tires would only matter if you were in four-wheel drive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the information, still thinking about it, but just wanted to make sure it wouldn't mess anything up. I know there are tons of tahoes with 20" wheels, and it's not like they have different computers, sensors etc.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thank you for the information, still thinking about it, but just wanted to make sure it wouldn't mess anything up. I know there are tons of tahoes with 20" wheels, and it's not like they have different computers, sensors etc.
The odometer and speedometer will be off by a bit but since you're getting factory takeoff wheels and tires you should be able to have your local dealer reflash the vehicle's computer to the new wheel and tire size and it would correct the speedometer and odometer. The dealer cannot flash the computer to anything other than factory-offered sizes so aftermarket wheels with oversized or undersized tires cannot be flashed. Stick to factory's and you're golden.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts