Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of upgrading my 07 2500HD. We are buying a pretty heavy 5th wheel trailer soon, and think the 2500 isn't going to be enough. The hitch weight will be approx. 2800lbs, and the trailer will weigh in at 16,000lbs. I'm wanting a 3500HD. But have no idea as to what year of truck to purchase? New is out of the question. It's a really hard decision. As my 07 is in perfect condition with only 90,000 miles on it. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Consider instead a smaller 5er?

Lots of room to be had with a 33-35 footer in the 12-13k gvwr range.

You've got what many claim is the 'Holy Grail' of Dmax versions.....with hardly any miles on it. Count your blessings, go with the jewel you have and a smaller 5er.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
We have been pulling a 39' Landmark Pinehurst the last 3 years without any issue. It seems the newer models are much heavier. I don't want anything smaller than what we had.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Wholly cow.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
SRWs are more popular than DRWs, so there's a possibility that you could make the upgrade with little $$ added to the deal.

Personally, I'd be keeping what you have and adding another to the fleet.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I would prefer a SRW as well. The colour doesn't do anything for us either. I wonder why it hasn't sold yet? What year would be a good upgrade from my 07? Moving into a 3500HD.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
I wonder why it hasn't sold yet?
'cause it's red? :nerd:

Meh....all the years after yours have their problems with added emissions.
'08-'10, DPF
'11-'16, CP4 disasters, 9th inj, DEF problems, weak pistons,....
ALSO....A BIGGIE....
The NBS '08 forward have a much higher bed rails, presenting problems with a 5er fit, leading to flipping axles, lifts, etc. on the trailer.
But there's always a flatbed option.

You're not going to get where you need to be for that 5er, unless you go DRW.

There are various colors out there available, beyond the glowing RED

Black, 60k miles
https://www.jwautova.com/details/used-2006-chevrolet-silverado-3500/61985658

White, 87k miles
https://njtruckking.com/2007-chevrolet-silverado-3500-4x4-crew-6.6l-lbz-duramax-predef-87k-miles-wow-woodbury-new-jersey-08096/6751559

Black and white, 85k miles
https://www.emautos.com/details/used-2007-chevrolet-silverado-3500-classic/61692179

They're out there....LBZs come at a premium price vs later model LMMs.

Registered
I am thinking of upgrading my 07 2500HD. We are buying a pretty heavy 5th wheel trailer soon, and think the 2500 isn't going to be enough. The hitch weight will be approx. 2800lbs, and the trailer will weigh in at 16,000lbs. I'm wanting a 3500HD. But have no idea as to what year of truck to purchase? New is out of the question. It's a really hard decision. As my 07 is in perfect condition with only 90,000 miles on it. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Assuming 2800 is the actual (as opposed to OEM-quoted) pin weight, a 3500 SRW should be able to handle your new trailer. I'd recommend a 2017-2019 (L5P) truck, as the fuel systems are much more robust than their predecessor (LML). Just be aware that deleting/tuning an L5P is a much more involved and expensive process than it was on earlier models. If you're not willing to accept the emissions systems on modern trucks then you may want to look at another vehicle entirely (the good news is that the emissions systems on these newer trucks seem to be much more reliable than they were on older designs).

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
OP stated new $$ wasn't an option, and you still have the high bed rails issue for fit.

PW estimates are always understated. Plan on 3500.

Premium Member
If you don't want a DRW, keep your truck and replace the leaf springs and torsion bars with those from a 3500, do a Wilwood Big Brake kit, and add a rear sway bar.

Anything else different between a 2500 and 3500?

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Tires/wheels capacities.

Premium Member
Tires/wheels capacities.
Definitely, I'm so used to everyone doing that anyway I didn't think about it but I suppose bigger doesn't mean better. I run Michelin Defender LTX M/S 285/75-16, 3750lbs per tire. That's the highest capacity Michelin without going to 19.5". I think They also have an 18" tire roughly the same size and is the same capacity which you'd probably need for a big brake kit.

Rims definitely need to be addressed. This guy is pulling a triple axle toy hauler, so probably 20k+ with an F250 and aftermarket wheels. I don't think they say what happened but it looks like he was turning and had to brake. The outside wheel got overloaded and broke and the trailer pushed the truck over.

Premium Member
Instead of doing the leafs, how about airbags and a panhard bar?

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I have Firestone airbags now. I also have the heaviest duty 16" tire available.

Registered
I towed my 38" toyhauler with my old lly just fine. I put on bags but ended up buying an lbz dually. I miss my lly towed it just fine but I was way over payload.

Premium Member
I have Firestone airbags now. I also have the heaviest duty 16" tire available.
The leafs are what keeps the rear end centered. Airbags only help vertically. A panhard bar will help lateral stability when carrying more than the leafs are rated for.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I just returned from a visit to my selling dealer. I spoke with the shop foreman/service manager. He told me that the airbags would work just as well as replacing the springs. He also told me that the frame, and brake components are the same in that year(2007). he said the only thing that would work better than what I have is a dually, for sway that is. Looks like I just saved a pile of money and labour.

Premium Member
Air bags only will not work "as well" as replacing the leafs. Is it good enough? I don't know but mechanics aren't engineers. They know how to fix things, not design suspension systems. If you're going to exceed the rear GVWR, I would consult someone who does. You don't want to be the guy in the video.

Registered
I'd say any 3500 duallie after about 2015 would likely fit the bill. What's the GVW of your FW? Figure 20% of that for pin weight, unless you can get one to weigh. If you're looking at a TH, figure 25%, or more, if the garage is empty. A '19-20 SRW might handle that weight, but you'd definitely be more stable with a duallie.

Lyle

1 - 20 of 25 Posts