Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is it to get the upper oil pan off? Just looking at it it doesn't seem too difficult, but I'm used to my Camaro having to lift the engine to get the pan off. lol. It looks like I have a little bit of a leak from the front driver side of the oil pan. When visiting my parents my dad thought he saw a small puddle of what he thought was diesel where I was parked, I thought it was oil. After crawling under I couldn't see diesel anywhere, just small amounts of oil on the upper pan. I cleaned it all off, so I guess we shall see if it leaks anymore.

I did do a search and found another thread where someone was talking about the LB7's and the injector problem and how when it happens diesel can come out of the PCV tube. Where is the tube located? Is this something I should be worried about? The truck has 218,000 miles on it and I'm not sure if the injectors were done under warranty. I don't have enough post to post in the VIN check forum yet. :(

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, I did my first oil change with the truck today since I don't really know its service history. I don't think there was any diesel in the oil, and I'm going to check tomorrow to make sure it was just 2.5 gallons. I at least know it didn't fill up my 15qt catch-can and I'm pretty sure there is another 4-5 quarts that could be put in there... But I'll double check in the morning for peace of mind.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You'll have to remove the lower pan first, and then the upper pan. The four bolts at the rear of it that are a bit of a pain because they're way up in there. It's not to bad of a job, pig to clean up all the rtv sealant though. Make sure you clean the surfaces up good and dry it off with brake cleaner before you put new rtv on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I got all the oil out of my catchpan and it was right at 10.5 quarts. I also did the paper towel test and I dont have any diesel in my oil. So I'm guessing its just a regular oil pan leak. Everything underneath is now all cleaned up so I can gauge how much it actually drips from now on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts