Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read an article in the September '07 issue of Petersen's 4wheel & Offroad magazine about running your diesel on vegetable oil. They were advertising a company called Veg Powered Systems (vegpoweredsystems.com). Does anyone know anyting about this company or the idea of running your diesel on vegetable oil? The company claims you loose no power or acceleration. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I work with a fella, that collects, filters, and sells vegie. He also sells the kits. He says he can't tell the difference in performance. He says vegie lubes the engine better that diesel. Especially with the low sulfer stuff out there. I don't know about this company, here are some others to check out. Greasecar Vegetable Fuel Systems www.fullsunfuels.com - Account Expired (my buddy's site) Welcome to Golden Fuel Systems! - HOME There are many others too. Google vegetable oil conversion kits. I've been toying with the idea of running vegie. I have two main concerns. 1. the only place to put a tank is in the bed of the truck. loose 12" bed length, and cut two 1.5" hols for fule lines. 2. I don't drive far anough daily to save on fule costs, and emission. 14mi to work. I think it's a good idea and am still concidering it.

·
Registered
2021 LM2 SLT
64 Posts
I'm currently making my own biodiesel. I'm running B20 with no problems since July 07. (no loss of power etc.) I will increase the percentage over time. The positive about biodiesel is that there are not any mods to do on your truck. SVO (straight veggie oil needs mods) Extra tank, preheating oil, starting and shutting down on petrodiesel, and gelling in the winter. Do some research. Its a good hobby.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been pondering vegie for a while now. I don't like the fact that you have to do so many modifications. Myself and my vegie guy, looked over my truck trying to figure out where to put the tank, lines, heated filter, valves and switch. I'm not too keen on the set up. Althought it's good equipment. Something eles I worry about, and that's the fuel pump. Vegie is heavier, (thicker) and I would want to add a lift pump for vegie. More $$. Bio seems the way to go. It seems pretty involved to produce. How's it for you? Did you make your own bio plant, or did you buy a kit?

·
Registered
2021 LM2 SLT
64 Posts
I use a hot water heater for a processor. (appleseed processor) There are plenty of sites that will guide you through the process. (including video) It was a little tricky getting started, but now it is routine. I am running B20 right now and plan to kick it up to B50 next month. I believe there is just too much crap in used oil to use it as is. The Biodiesel process removes all of the crap resulting in a clean fuel. Many are running B100 for years, so I do feel comfortable with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just in case you are interested in GM's position - the Owner's manual states that anything above 5% biodiesel MAY cause damage to the fuel system and engine on LMMs.

The independent research I've found on the net hasn't turned up any damage, other than more frequent clogging of the DPF on the LMMs. This means more frequent regenerations and possibly a shortened "effective" life - that is a lower number of miles driven with emissions meeting Federal
specs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Straight veg

I have personally converted over 30 duramax`s to run or reused veg oil.Some are stock and some are not.I have a patent pending on this system. we love diesel`s and duramax`s turn us on .so anyone who`s interested get in touch "If it runs on diesel then it will run better on veg" Thanx:

·
Registered
8 Posts
veggie and bio-diesel are very different so when the owners manual says a % will do damage my guess is there refering to the seals bio-diesel will eat rubber veggie wont. there is a loss of power on veggie slightly below 9% through my personal testing with 6 different trucks it is caused by the lower BTU's in veggie than diesel can u notice it? no u cant and the savings are well worth it if u need the extra power just switch back to diesel.. The Veg Guy i shot you a pm iv converted 6 duramax's 30 is alil bit more than me maybe we can learn something from one another..i agree go straight veggie bio is to dangerous and takes to much time for the benifit to me

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi,

I have heard from people that the best veg oil to use is from an Asian or Mexican restaurant because there is less junk in the oil. Has anyone heard one way or the other?

Right now I have a 99 silverado. I am thinking about selling and buying a duramax, but looking at cost. Can someone give me a rough estimate on how much it costs for a kit for a duramax.? I will install myself.

Thank you

·
Save Water, Drink Beer
1,102 Posts
Smells Like Burritos

I have a bud that makes his own wvo from nothing but Spanish & oriental restaurants and has 3 7.3l fords and 2 benz's running on the twin tank set up. I was told there is a mix of veg, diesel, and kerosene that can be ran straight through my truck and with only filter changes. Does anyone know about this and is this to much of a risk?

·
Registered
2021 LM2 SLT
64 Posts
I did the diesel secret energy thing. Popped several codes within a month. (low rail pressure, misfire, egr...) Went back to straight petrodiesel and cleared the codes. Everything is OK. The more I read about it, the crappier it looked. So, I learned how to make Biodiesel. I am running B20 successfully since June, 07 without any codes. Its not a simple task, just a hobby. Cost around 1.70/gal. to make. (others claim less then a dollar, but there is no way due to the cost of methanol)

·
Save Water, Drink Beer
1,102 Posts
How is it made?

Mako or I guess anybody, Could you lend some advice on how to make B20 etc. or point me in the right direction? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
SVO and Bio power loss

Hey, you guys running the SVO, how many miles do you have on your trucks with it? I am still worried about the Glycerin build up over time. My truck almost seemed to run better after some miles of B20, maybe cleaned some stuff off the injectors or something.

Also how do you go about making the deals to get the oil? Places have to pay to get rid of it, but quite a few seem worried about giving it away in my area.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have heard of someone running on Veggie oil at a trade show in a show truck, with stickers on the vehicle identifying it as a Veggie vehicle, and he was given a $5K fine for not paying for road taxes, which are included in the price of diesel.

Has anyone else ever heard of a major fine such as this?

Do not put stickers on your vehicle identifying it I guess would be a good start...

·
Registered
2021 LM2 SLT
64 Posts
I won't use SVO but I do use biodiesel. (the glycerin gets removed in the process) I make it myself and have 107,000 mi on it. I've been using B20 since July this year. Using B100 has set off some codes. Backing off to B20 seems just right for me. Places are just fine about giving it to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Veg Guy,

I've got a new 2008 GMC duramax and although as Ted White says the book says "anything over 5% can void your warranty" I know for a fact that the 5% we buy now in Portland, OR. is _MANDATED_ by the state to go up to like 20% within a couple of years, AFAIK, so why worry? Might as well be happy and adapt. Let me know what you have for info on any mods needed to adapted and keep these trucks running optimum. TNX and Happy New Year!

/Mike

1 - 20 of 59 Posts