Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone vinyl wrapped their bumpers and/or grill (not talking emblems). I have been looking into it and it seems like a decent and cheaper alternative to getting it painted. A lot of places don't like to paint over chrome as I have been told.

I have talked to a couple different places seeking prices but am wondering about color match. I was leaning towards a matte black finish as that's what I have now with plasti-dip and I like the look, but color match looks great also. My truck is Greystone Metallic and some places say they can do just about any color, and some only have basic colors.

Anybody looked into this before?

·
Registered
974 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
subd

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sub'd too! I got the same color truck..

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bowtieguy72 just got his 15 Denali grille wrapped.
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/build-threads/492282-black-2015-denali-mini-build-3.html And you'll probably find more with the search function. I talked to a few places locally and some would do it over chrome and some wont.

How is your plasti-dip holding up? I just did mine.
My Plasti-dip isn't holding up that well. I put it on near the end of last summer and I have already touched it up a few times and there are chips missing out of it again. Around the plastic on the bumpers it's worn off as well from the plastic movement. It looks good from 10' away but it's starting to bug me.

·
WOOD... man!
4,203 Posts
Just paint them instead. Just prep the surface like sanding and applying self etching primer.
^^^ This.
May end up going this route. Have done it before on customers rides.

Thought about trying the plastic dip but something's just not setting well with me on that method. Not sure what.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^ This.
May end up going this route. Have done it before on customers rides.

Thought about trying the plastic dip but something's just not setting well with me on that method. Not sure what.
Some guys have better luck with plasti dip than others. We have some worse conditions here in MN with winter and everything mine's not holding up too well. I did it more of a temporary and to see how I liked the look and I'm happy I did it. For what it costs and how easy it was I can't complain.

I wouldn't feel comfortable painting my bumper, if a body shop is skepticle a bout doing it, I can't believe that it's that easy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am having this problem with paint match

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you know what 3M calls that color? I'd like to look into that.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I also wrapped my steps:

Made a custom plate as well.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice! If I had a basic color I wouldn't have a problem but this gray is throwing it off lol.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Nice! If I had a basic color I wouldn't have a problem but this gray is throwing it off lol.

If your color is graystone Callie454 has the color from 3M.

On my '06 LLY graystone I used a matte color from 3M that was the same as callie454 used but his is gloss.

·
Registered
168 Posts
How well does the white match? Was thinking about doing this

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
How well does the white match? Was thinking about doing this

It's a little brighter white BUT is really really hard to tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
So does the wrap require heat? Can you order it straight from 3m.

Looks great guys!

1 - 20 of 119 Posts