Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so most of the time i'm running late in the morning and don't wanna sit while the dmax warms up. So I was thinking about getting the viper remote start. But can you put a remote start on a diesel, with the "wait to start" and all??

Registered
Yes the wait to start works. My viper occasionally screws up though so I no longer use it. Could just be who put it on that did something wrong.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app-Adam

Registered
AstroStart

I run AstroStart on mine and it has never let me down. I actually used to have one on my half ton with no issues. The big thing is make sure that the person has hooked up a car starter to a diesel before. Mine actually is hooked up to the glow plug light and once the light shuts off it fires the truck. You can literally sit in there and watch it happen as soon as that light drops it cranks. I also have never had a problem starting and I am in MN, seeing 40 below actual.

Good luck!!

Registered
I have a excalibur remote start in my 02 and the guy hooked up a delay box and I can adjust it for how long I want it to wait before starting and it works alsome

Administrator
Nearly all remote starts can be used on a diesel. The installer can set the wait to start on a timer if they are lazy or hook it up to the wait to start light. Hooking it up to the light is the best way. As soon as I goes out, the truck will crank. I have had astrostart & clifford (clifford is nearly identical to viper & python). Anything sold by DEI (which is nearly everything now) is a good product. Check then out at directed.com.

Registered
Have had two viper alarm/remote staters and two different shops install it.Always an issue with the units
WOULD NEVER GET ANOTHER ONE.

Administrator
Yeah if they don't know how to hook up to the wait to start light, look for another person. They have probably never installed on on our trucks. Also ask them how they attach the unit to the truck. They should solder it in also.

Registered
Add me to the list of people that has had a problem with Viper alarm systems. And it was not the installation!

Registered
I've installed probably a hundred DEI remote start systems (Viper, Pyton, Avital, Hornet, Clifford, Valet, etc...)

For my money, their the most reliable units on the market. I have seen a couple fail, but it's very rare. More often then not, if there's a problem it's install related...

-Rob

Registered
my Viper causes all types of dash lights due to some kind of computer conflict. I get the ABS and Service Trailer Brake system errors. its weird... after ignoring it for like 3 months it went away, now i have TPMS errors....

Registered
I have a viper system that came with the truck. Was having a lot of problems with it and figured out if I unlock the truck first then use the remote start it works just fine. Can lock it after starting without issues. The only thing I can think of is the stock alarm is having a conflict with the viper?

Registered
I had the Viper 5901 alarm/remote start installed on my wifes '10 Altima and we have never had an issue with it (impressed since it is a push button start). Just had the exact same system put on my truck, and so far there are no issues. Everyone one of my friends that owns a diesel has an autostart, of one brand or another, and I have not heard one horror story.

I do live in Alaska, where autostart is installed on almost every vehicle (would love to get one on my snowmachine, if possible), so I assume the techs up here KNOW what the hell they are doing!

Now the Viper smartstart module is a different story........

Hang it!...Fire!
so what is the best brand around for remote start for dmaxs?

Love My L5P

Hang it!...Fire!
Seems like a lot of people have issues there bud

Love My L5P
Only because it's the highest selling system out there is why you here about more problems. I've had mine for 2 years with zero issues. 3 other people I know have Viper and also have had no issue's. It's all in the installation.

I'm That Guy...
so what is the best brand around for remote start for dmaxs?
Viper or most any products made by DEI.

Most issues are installer related, find a good installer that know's what they are doing.

I've never had even one issue with DEI systems on my cars / trucks and most of my friends run the same DEI Viper alarms.

Registered
My Clifford is a damn nice system. Model 50.7X Security and Remote Start

I realize this might be obvious, but here goes. If your not paying (with the cost of an alarm) around $1000, your not getting anyone good to do the install.

I've had mine now for almost 3 years.....ZERO issues.

auto window up/down
heated seats come on
integration into the Canbus system
steering wheel buttons integrate with my Pioneer NAV system too

Car Toys did mine. :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts