Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any info on the Volant cold air intake for a 2005? I was told the K&N has an exposed air filter so it sucks heat off the engine. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
i dont know about an 05 but i just bought one for my 06 and it has a heat shield over the filter so you dont get any warm air from the motor

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
I run one, I'm not sure the quality of the product is worth the $$$$ but it definetly will not suck any air from under the hood. After i installed mine i felt that it would not flow enough air so i drilled a 5" hole in the front side of the box behind the headlight! also i run with the lid off as its so close to the hood i feel that it gets more outside ait than it would from under the hood!

Lots of guys like the afe II intakes but again they are pricey! Horse power gains from a intake are pretty much none most benifit from lower air intake temps and some more turbo sound!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm looking for one too. The AFE looks pretty good. Anyone else have any input?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
watch out for oiled filters if you are worried about warranty... GM is NASTY about intakes. and the K&N has a heat shield that seals up to the hood, it takes the air from the headlight/fender area....

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have tested 5 Intakes. The AFE has little effect on IAT. It looks like it would but it doesn't. It is also a frequent source of MAF codes, like KN. A big PIA.

Volant does a good job of taking the air from the cooler fender, and bumper, it is the only one that I consider worth looking at.

I have seen 190 degrees with the AFE, which also created MAF code headaches. 130 degrees with Volant. By contrast, the stock intakes has reached 230 degrees

The best one, and the one I use now, was half the cost of the volant, and has a stock appearance, stock filtration efficiency, and no oil.

I will never use an oiled filter for street use. Whoever came up with that concept should be shot.

My favorite statement to read is "I replaced my element with xxx and I see better spool up times, and better SOTP performance". The intake business is the most fraudulent aftermarket business there is, preying on our weak psychological state to bellieve what we are told, and believe it so readily that we invent false improvements, placebo, to justify our ego based decisions. It's an amazing thing to watch. The best thing you can do to improve spoolup time, is to replace your dirty loaded element. The correct one is listed on the intake, and don't buy anything accept the delco, there is a lot of junk out in fram boxes, etc.

Go to your local landfill, you don't have to pay for these. A friend picked one out of the neighbors trash just a few weeks ago. There is a good reason for that.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
wow. pretty opinionated this morning about the intakes, i guess i would understand if you didn't have one, bot really, whats your argument? Think about it... if there is an "open element" filter with 2x the filter surface area and without being enclosed in a pathetic plastic box... how could turbo lag not be increased? what all mods do you even have on your truck? you would easily know the difference stock vs. after market with a big chip and 4 or 5 inch exhaust. Why are you so fired up about it? And, don't get me wrong, i don't think the oiled filters are the worlds greatest, but there are more K&N's on the road with a real company to back the product than any other after market filters combined! The concept is simple. USE THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF OIL! The filters are easy to over-oil, but after a while you figure it out...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well, I was asked for my opinion. It is biased by lots of experience and hands on testing, albeit mostly my own, except for the oil comments, which I gather from a ton of stories of MAF codes due to gumming, some of which I have fixed, by filling landfills.

My point would be more valuable if one of the pleated delco elements were stretched out. It is easy to see how it has 5x the filtration area of ANY of the aftermarket elements. Then add filtration effectiveness to the menu of priorities, and there is no contrest really. The delco element will hold 10x the dirt with half the loaded restriction as any of these oiled "competitors". A pretty good study was done on this very topic.

This is just my funnybone, don't take offense please. My remarks are honest. That pathetic plastic box, with the exception of its stupid hot air design, is unmatched for its combination of freeflowing, filtration ability, reliability, and cost (free). With a new element, it has a measly 8-10 iwc pressure drop with stock flow rates, and up to 16 with highly modified (450HP) flow rates. These are nothing compared to industry standards, which average over 20 iwc for forced induction applications.

One other thing that should be mentioned. Other intakes are designed to be louder. Let's not mistake that for faster spoolup. I have yet to see anyone quantify faster spoolup.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
how can you measure it? I guess my opinion is form what i noticed with my truck, building more boost, quicker. i guess we are all here for opinions.. but i don't think all intakes are a scam....

·
Registered
192 Posts
One way you could measure it is with a scanner.

EFIlive would allow you to measure the number of data frames it takes to say, go from 0 psi to 30 psi.

in fairness, there is one condition that makes an alternative intake important (IMO). Moisture. I would want a foam filter, for example, if I were expecting to encounter a lot of water. The pleated paper filters can load up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I understand that GM has a TSB out for the LLY airbox. The fix is to replace it with the LBZ airbox which is supposed to be much improved.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Because you won't get it, unless you have a well documented overheat issue. They are expensive, like $600.

And it is improved. About a 50 degree improvement.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts