Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Liquid Product Fluid Font Line

anyone running this system? Just watched the YouTube video and are impressed on this system. I think FASS has always been the way to go but 3 years now waiting on them to release their system this looks to be competitive minus not have a pump.

· Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
1,655 Posts
No pump needed on L5P, comes with in tank pump, stout one at that.

This VSE unit IMO is best since there is filtration AFTER the WIF sensor. Single filter L5P aftermarket units the WIF sensor is on the 'clean' side of the filter....if the water light comes on then it's too late. Stock filter has 2 sets of filter media in it, main one before the WIF and a secondary filter bit after the sensor.

Now, the durability if the stock filter....do a search of the troubles @blythkd1 had....pretty good reason to switch.

· Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
905 Posts
I just ordered this and it is sitting waiting to install this weekend. my truck just hit 36k miles so warranty is gone. time to do some preventive mods. the stock chevy Cruz 1.8l fuel filter is going buhbye.

I'll save the parts in case there is an issue.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just ordered this and it is sitting waiting to install this weekend. my truck just hit 36k miles so warranty is gone. time to do some preventive mods. the stock chevy Cruz 1.8l fuel filter is going buhbye.

sweet let me know how the fitment is thanks

· Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
1,901 Posts

Please take some pics of your install if you can, I'd love to see how it goes for you. Been planning on getting this done but need to clear it with my dealership before I "modify" the fuel system, as I'm sure they're going to claim as a warranty voider!

· Registered
905 Posts
installing is not as easy as the instructions make out. the main issue is disconnecting the fuel lines and electrical connector. the first fuel line is the feed line from the tank and has a blue lock tab.

the blue tab is a two part lock with a piece that has a flat half moon pointing back down the line towards the fuel tank and a tab with thin ridges in it. you pull the tab away the push the tab towards the fuel head and that unlocks the half-moon portion. at that point you squeeze the half-moon and pull the fuel line free. this took me almost an hour of filling and saying a lot of four letter spicy words to figure out.

the fuel line that feeds the high pressure hp4 has a white lock tab with four legs. you just push legs away until the tab unlocks and then you can pull the line free.

fuel will dump out of both lines and there is fuel still in the filter head which of course will go everywhere. I used a giant piece of cardboard and drain pan I saved from the water heater I bought earlier in the year.

next hard part is the electrical connector it has a locking tab that is part of the plug and I had to use long channel locks to pull it free. the tab is part of the plug so it will come free with the harness.

the rest of the instructions are accurate.

I would recommend connecting the electric connector up before putting the bracket on the frame as the vse takes up more room than stock and there isn't much to start with. the fuel lines need to be put on with some authority while not disturbing the tabs in the unlocked positions. it's a little tricky took me three tries on the fuel tank side. two on the hp4 side.

putting the heating element in is done just as in the instructions. I used a small screw driver to pry the element body off the oem filter head and did it gently and evenly

Product Font Space Engineering Pattern

Gadget Font Computer hardware Office equipment Circuit component

Gas Auto part Metal Machine Automotive exterior
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

installing filters is like any other filter.

truck is running good pressures normal.

· Registered
1,655 Posts
Great pics and write up. Those line clips really are a bugger. No way they'll be flexible enough to work when these trucks get old.

· Registered
905 Posts
Great pics and write up. Those line clips really are a bugger. No way they'll be flexible enough to work when these trucks get old.
yup and if you break the tank side clip your gonna have to drop the tank to replace the line. would suck bad it's why it took me so long as I didn't want to fk it up

· Registered
152 Posts
So if you had to make a return trip to the dealer for warranty work it would be a REAL PITA to remove and put back to stock? Sounds like those whiz-bang connectors are real difficult. I wish they would not make tool-less connectors so hard to work with. Some electrical connectors are dang near impossible to get apart. It is if the engineers tried to make it difficult.

I had been considering this upgrade but will have to weigh the cost vs stock system failing and whether it would be covered by warranty. Over time the stock system may show some more issues?

Edit: Does the stock Filter Minder have an awareness of thus setup remaining filter life and if so how? If it uses pressure how would the change in media/filters affect this?

· Registered
2022 Chevrolet 3500 High Country CC
1,422 Posts

· Registered
905 Posts
So if you had to make a return trip to the dealer for warranty work it would be a REAL PITA to remove and put back to stock? Sounds like those whiz-bang connectors are real difficult. I wish they would not make tool-less connectors so hard to work with. Some electrical connectors are dang near impossible to get apart. It is if the engineers tried to make it difficult.

I had been considering this upgrade but will have to weigh the cost vs stock system failing and whether it would be covered by warranty. Over time the stock system may show some more issues?

Edit: Does the stock Filter Minder have an awareness of thus setup remaining filter life and if so how? If it uses pressure how would the change in media/filters affect this?
my truck just hit 36k miles so out of warranty. it's a moot point for me. gm would have to prove that the fuel being bad and going past the filter caused any issue. or your work caused an issue.

I wouldn't want to have to reverse it. but I'm saving the oem parts. from how little space there is getting it back out I think will be harder than getting them oem assembly out. but now that I know how the connectors work it might not be that bad. most of the difficulty was figuring out how they work without really seeing them and doing it mainly by feel.

the truck doesn't know you did anything as the vse uses the stock heater and water sensor. the only sensor in the stock Filter head is the water in fuel sensor.

as for the dic displaying fuel filter life being accurate I do not know. I change fuel filter every other oil change anyway and don't go by the dic info. both the donaldson filters are 39$ the oem acdelco tp1015 is 42$. so it really doesn't change anything filter cost wise.

the l5p lift pump is a demand pump and unlike a fass or similar setup it only pumps fuel as needed so I don't see how that would change much of anything. I ran the truck driving for about an hour last nite and fuel pressure and fuel rail pressure were normal ranges from low speed to mashing the pedal from a dead start to accelerating to 90mph. no issues.

what has worried me about the oem filter is the there is no real support for the element so the longer you run it the more likely you are to get a failure if you get really dirty diesel. since I travel a lot and get diesel all over the place I change the filters more often in case I do get some dirtier than normal diesel.

· Registered
152 Posts
Jonm..
Is the fuel system considered part of the powertrain warranty? My papers say I have a 5 yr 100k Powertrain coverage.
I agree, the stock setup is very iffy if bad fuel was introduced. There was a case of a gas station around here sending lots of water into cars gas tanks. All it takes is one bad load and problems could start. I suspect the worse case would be dirty fuel that restricts the flow as you said.

If I recall there is a sensor or something that can tell when the pressure is out of balance or something to determine fuel filter life. I wonder if it is partially plugged up there would be DIC warning or corresponding filter life reduction.

· Registered
1,655 Posts
Powertrain or emissions would cover fuel system.

Reactions: Satar

· Registered
905 Posts
Jonm..
Is the fuel system considered part of the powertrain warranty? My papers say I have a 5 yr 100k Powertrain coverage.
I agree, the stock setup is very iffy if bad fuel was introduced. There was a case of a gas station around here sending lots of water into cars gas tanks. All it takes is one bad load and problems could start. I suspect the worse case would be dirty fuel that restricts the flow as you said.

If I recall there is a sensor or something that can tell when the pressure is out of balance or something to determine fuel filter life. I wonder if it is partially plugged up there would be DIC warning or corresponding filter life reduction.
I'm just not concerned about it if it voids it at this point. I can't replace it with the same truck and same options if a faulty filter grenades the engine. I really really really despise the new interior look on the 2023 snd 2024 trucks. especially that hideous screen. and with there being restrictions on what options are actually available I can't get a truck equal to mine. so I decided to just swap it out and what happens if something comes up it happens.

I'm not telling you to do what I did just explaining how I see it.

I do not know how it determines percent of filter life left.

I carry extra filters fuel and oil and when I travel I have 11qts of oil in the truck as well.

if I have any issues with this I'll let you know but I don't think I will.

the most likely thing to happen is one of the injector harness connectors frying itself like they like to do. I'm more concerned about that and keep a few in the truck along with tools to swap one out if I need to.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts