Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 115 Posts

· Registered
7,491 Posts
I saw a price of $650. That's a lot for 2 filters, in my opinion. Granted, there are some electronics to detect water in the filter but still seems like a lot of $$ to me. Very nice unit though.

· Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
1,656 Posts
@JonM21Ltz , I think the filter minder will work fine with your VSE. The truck runs the lift pump to maintain 60psi.....it will ramp the pump up to help try to overcome a gelled filter for example. It's a hunch but, it likely knows how much the filters are used up by how hard it has to run the lift pump in a given situation.

Since your VSE doesn't really alter anything electronic, I think your filter readings will work.

· Registered
2,045 Posts
$650 seems pretty cheap to me, if you know what I mean. Yeah I'm sure at that price they're making plenty of profit for a dual filter head setup but it could be invaluable for your truck. It'll be a high priced option until some real competition shows up.

Good write-up on the install. Looks like a nice setup.

· Registered
2022 Chevrolet 3500 High Country CC
1,424 Posts
Albeit they are larger separate dirt/water filters if you have a Gell event or think you've had a dirty fuel event change you filter asap. It's been discussed on here that that fuel pressure is normally around 60psi, but those that monitor that pressure have said to have seen 90+. The Donaldson filters have a Burst pressure of 90 psi just like the factory filter. Prolly never see enough dirt to cause an issue that extreme but a gelled event with attempted starts definitely could. Just a thought.

· Registered
1,424 Posts
Another thought that just occurred to me the factory filter is rated as a full flow filter with a differential pressure failure of 90psi+. If I'm thinking correctly you could have greater then 90psi of pressure on this filter without issue as long as the "differential" pressure is less then 90.

But the spin on filters are rated at 90psi burst pressure. Donaldson or cat doesn't mention differential pressure, does this mean that the Donaldson or Cat filter risks failure from 90psi+ pressure flowing through the filter.

It's late and I may be overthinking

• Haha
Reactions: Piper One

· Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
906 Posts
Albeit they are larger separate dirt/water filters if you have a Gell event or think you've had a dirty fuel event change you filter asap. It's been discussed on here that that fuel pressure is normally around 60psi, but those that monitor that pressure have said to have seen 90+. The Donaldson filters have a Burst pressure of 90 psi just like the factory filter. Prolly never see enough dirt to cause an issue that extreme but a gelled event with attempted starts definitely could. Just a thought.
If the fuel is gelled the oem filter is going to fail I would imagine. The filter and filter head were intended to be used and designed for a 1.8l diesel. The l5p is probably stressing that setup pretty hard under good conditions so as soon as something goes a bit funky fuel wise it explodes. Which would account for the folks running the oem filters and nuking the engines when dirty fuel is encountered.

I'm no expert on this at all. But I'm not convinced about the quality of the oem filter after reading about other folks losing their fuel system due to the oem filter setup going tits up under dirty conditions. its concerning especially after finding out what the oem system was designed for.

Maybe I'm overthinking it too I dunno

· Registered
906 Posts
$650 seems pretty cheap to me, if you know what I mean. Yeah I'm sure at that price they're making plenty of profit for a dual filter head setup but it could be invaluable for your truck. It'll be a high priced option until some real competition shows up.

Good write-up on the install. Looks like a nice setup.
I'm going to setup data logging on the idash for the lift pump and see how it performs during next regen and try and watch it over the next few weeks.

· Premium Member
2022 Silverado 2500HD LTZ DCSB
227 Posts
The filter and filter head were intended to be used and designed for a 1.8l diesel.
Maybe I missed it but how do we know this filter was actually designed for the Cruze diesels? For a car that can get 50 mpg, the filter seems huge for something that would use a couple gallons per hour. The Cruze diesel always seemed like an afterthought to me (had a 2014 gas Cruze) and maybe the engineers just used a truck filter on it instead of designing something smaller.

· Registered
906 Posts
Maybe I missed it but how do we know this filter was actually designed for the Cruze diesels? For a car that can get 50 mpg, the filter seems huge for something that would use a couple gallons per hour. The Cruze diesel always seemed like an afterthought to me (had a 2014 gas Cruze) and maybe the engineers just used a truck filter on it instead of designing something smaller.
The cruz ended production about 2 years after l5p started. What better way to save cost by counting beans and reuse a filter they already had. It's highly unlikely gm was planning out the l5p in 2010 or so when the cruz was made by gm korea.

But the only one who knows is the person who ok'd the fuel filter choice in the planning meeting. The cruz has been using it longer than the l5p and no other duramax used that filter until l5p.

Evidently the cartridge filter works well enough as most l5p run fine with it. I'm not saying it's a complete sht filter. I just dont trust it.

· Administrator
3,294 Posts
Why? I have read about one collapse but no other problems. Seriously asking because I really do like the runvse setup but don't want to fight with the dealership while warranty is active.
Read this thread:

@blythkd1 took one for the team unfortunately.

With that said, I'm doing a 10k mileage change interval and using additive to make sure I don't have any gelling.

I'm eyeing up this VSE setup though...
It seems like a more robust setup. They make some claims though but don't show any data to back it up, unless I'm missing something.

· Administrator
3,294 Posts
Oh, and there's at least 2 other people in that thread who reported holes. So it's not a one off fluke that happened to @blythkd1

· Premium Member
227 Posts
I've followed that thread for a long time. I see a quality issue with one or more of those filters but I honestly don't think it is a design problem. I was quality manager for a automotive parts supplier (pretty far down the food chain) for 17 years and know very well what kinds of things got through. One or three failures in millions produced wouldn't even make a quality report for the automotive plants I have worked with. Hell, we were allowed 1% scrap with a particular supplier for a pump product... Always thought that was scary.

· Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
1,656 Posts
Stock filter isn't a problem....until it is. Then it's expensive AF.

I haven't rushed to complete my solution, but totally get the folks installing the VSE. I'd use it if I hadn't put in a bigger fuel tank and used up all the space.

· Premium Member
227 Posts
Seems like there must be a reason or the VSE filter solution and it's doubtful they funded the R&D over 3 filter failures. If there are 3 that we know of on this little forum, how many have there been in total?
I like the VSE filter and it almost certainly does a better job. Plus, it is a hell of a lot easier to change the filters since there is no plastic to strip or problems getting bad things in the cap. I agree there are probably more but how many Cat/Donaldson filter failures are there? : ) Not trying to turn this into an argument to not use the VSE or that the OEM filter is great. I was just wondering if there was some other reasons to not trust the OEM filter. If there were more reasons, I would consider switching a higher priority but I will probably wait for my warranty to run out.

· Registered
1,424 Posts
Well for the Cruze and L5P, aren't they the same part number?
The original filter for the Cruze was superseded by a new part number in 2017 for the L5P 6.6 diesels, the new part number was to be used in the 6.6 and smaller engines, Have found no info indicating that you can take an older pre 2017 cruze filter and use it in the newer truck and wouldn't suggest it. Not saying it wouldn't fit, you just wont find the old part number listed as a usable part number for the 6.6.

Two more threads with some great info if you haven't seen them.

(5) fuel filter colapsed | Page 7 | Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (duramaxforum.com)
(5) Fuel Filter Upgrade Kit | Page 4 | Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (duramaxforum.com)

· Registered
1,424 Posts
You'll also find some good conversation in the above links on why the cat single filter setup is most likely a bad choice in my opinion and prolly others as well.

· Registered
906 Posts
I like the VSE filter and it almost certainly does a better job. Plus, it is a hell of a lot easier to change the filters since there is no plastic to strip or problems getting bad things in the cap. I agree there are probably more but how many Cat/Donaldson filter failures are there? : ) Not trying to turn this into an argument to not use the VSE or that the OEM filter is great. I was just wondering if there was some other reasons to not trust the OEM filter. If there were more reasons, I would consider switching a higher priority but I will probably wait for my warranty to run out.
my reason is I spent almost 90k on this truck. I have zero monthly payment. the vse makes sense as donaldson makes some of the best filters. so a unit that will do the job and do it well with a filter setup that does not interfere with the computer system or require reprogramming I'm going to do it

I can understand worrying about the warranty. I'm not trying to convince anyone to ditch the oem filter.

21 - 40 of 115 Posts