Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m new to owning a diesel and have always heard you turn the key to the on position and wait a few seconds for glow plugs to heat up before you start one. I have an 07 GMC 2500 and the wait to start light takes quite a while to go out. I’m talking. 30+ seconds now that it’s cold and even took 15-20 seconds when it was warm out. Does this indicate new glow plugs are needed? The guy I bought it off of I’m pretty sure replaced them within the past few years. Thanks!

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,320 Posts
Old skool Diesels....There is no wait to start, just fire it up. The GPs will continue to heat after startup, until temps get where they like it. You'll see your volt gauge rise up to normal when they're off.

When you start losing GPs, you'll get hard codes thrown (SES).
Note; a Dmax doesn't need GPs to start, they'll fire up with 'em failing.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks Hook'em, I didn't know that. I always wait for the GP light to go out. Although it only takes a few seconds. Even in the present -40*.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
When I'm starting my truck, I put in the key, turn to on, then put in my seat belt, and then turn to start/crank. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I'm starting my truck, I put in the key, turn to on, then put in my seat belt, and then turn to start/crank. Works like a charm.
Does your light turn out by the time you do that? With my light staying on for so long I’m worried I’m putting added wear and tear on the plugs, but figured I shouldn’t start it before that light goes out as well. I might start just giving it 5 seconds or so then start it

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,320 Posts
In the history of people posting about failed GPs, many times it's after a battery event (failing batts, jump to start, etc.) that one here and one there start to fail. They don't seem to like low amp delivery.

So unless you know both are up to par, testing them with long waits, might not be a prudent idea.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey guys, I’m new to owning a diesel and have always heard you turn the key to the on position and wait a few seconds for glow plugs to heat up before you start one. I have an 07 GMC 2500 and the wait to start light takes quite a while to go out. I’m talking. 30+ seconds now that it’s cold and even took 15-20 seconds when it was warm out. Does this indicate new glow plugs are needed? The guy I bought it off of I’m pretty sure replaced them within the past few years. Thanks!
30 seconds is way to long, my 04 & 07 never took longer than 5 seconds even in -30, with the block heater plugged in. And as far as not needing glow plugs, maybe not in Texas, but in -40 Alberta they are required.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
30 seconds is way to long, my 04 & 07 never took longer than 5 seconds even in -30, with the block heater plugged in. And as far as not needing glow plugs, maybe not in Texas, but in -40 Alberta they are required.
Thank Goodness I don't live where it gets that cold any more :grin2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank Goodness I don't live where it gets that cold any more [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/DuramaxForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/img]
Yea it doesn’t get nearly that cold where I’m at either. Single digits is about as cold as we get, and unless it’s a snow storm the truck sits anyways. I did start it up yesterday, temps in lower teens after waiting about 5 seconds. Light was still on but it started. Did run a little rough for a few seconds after that though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts