Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
the first year is 02

· Registered
58 Posts
02 being the first year for the Duramax, what was the diesel engine called prior to 02, this being for pick ups. And is there any draw back in the earlier diesels.
6.2 & 6.5 (there is a small section in this forum)

Neither one was a "powerhouse" by any means. They are still used on govt. humvee's though.:)

· Registered
348 Posts
98-01 dodge 24 valve with a maunual
Why get this year, this is some of the cummins worst years. The lift pumps and VPs always crap out on these. 12vs are rock solid and the common rails are solid.

I vote for the cummins as the engine The Allison as the tranny, then basically its all about personle preference.

· Registered
132 Posts
Why get this year, this is some of the cummins worst years. The lift pumps and VPs always crap out on these. 12vs are rock solid and the common rails are solid.

I vote for the cummins as the engine The Allison as the tranny, then basically its all about personle preference.
they r still reliable and u still have a nice ride with lots of comfort options and they look awesome.....im not sure what kind of options a 12 vavle has but i doubt they r as comfortable as a newer 24 vavle.....jmo

right now i am looking 2 trucks
an 01 dodge cummins ext. cab short box 4x4 with 40k on it and i can probaly get it for $20k
and an 02 chevy duramax 4 dr short box 4x4 with 70k on it and i can probaly get it for 20k or a lil less

so i got nothing against dodge and chevy, what would u honestly choose??

· Registered
275 Posts
06 Duramax Questions from a newbie

We are looking to buy a 06 Black Ext Cab Duramax 2500. Whats yalls opinion on this truck? Does an 06 have the LBZ? What is the horsepower and torqe rating? We have a 24ft trailer. With the equipment on it, it weighs around 14k. We only pull maybe once a month. Will this truck handle that load ok? Its a automatic. Thanks in advance

· Registered
44 Posts
POWER 95, take your piece of Sh%t Ford and go somewhere where fords are welcome. I will take any chevy and put it to a ford everytime.....
I have owned both and ford sucks....and way overpriced.....:rockin

· Registered
46 Posts
I have a 07 Duramax ( classic ) LBZ with Allison 6 spd 1000. I tow a 23 foot 5 th wheel and it only tops out at about 8000 lbs.
Are you sure your 24 ft trailer is up to 14000 ? I think the maximum I can tow is 16000 , and you can go up to 18 with a 1 ton.
Double check your weights and maybe post a new question about weights , as Im at work and dont have the truck with me.
P.S. - The Duramax / Allison combo is the only way to go , expecially if your buying a Diesel and want an automatic.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.