Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 15 lml and I am wanting to do a dpf delete on it. I have been looking into all options and I'm pretty sure I want to go with the ez lynk system. Am I able to do the delete with a blank (no tunes) ez lynk? I'm new to tuning and still learning. If you can help me out and point me in a direction to take it would be helpful. Thank you

· Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Cooper Rugged Trek, Paragon Bed Cover
4,257 Posts
The way tuning works is a new firmware, or tune, has to be loaded onto the Engine Control Module (ECM). The ECM is a computer that runs the vehicle and makes adjustments in real time to maintain manufacturer specs for the vehicle. It also controls what happens when a fault is experienced somewhere in the vehicle. In the case of the DPF and other emissions equipment, the ECM is programmed to respond to a fault in that system by giving warnings and then ultimately putting the vehicle into a reduced power mode that is basically a crawl.

To circumvent any of the emissions equipment,new firmware has to be loaded onto the ECM. This is what we call tuning. The ECM is being tuned to operate within different parameters to achieve different operating specs for the vehicle.

So, to remove the DPF, DEF tank, or EGR, you would need a tuner to write a tune for your truck, then upload that to your ECM, then you can remove those components.

But here's the rub: This is all federally illegal and the EPA is literally knocking on doors here in the US to shut down any and every shop that is performing these types of mods on diesels. If you do a quick google search, you'll soon realize that it's about impossible to get it done via the internet in the US. There are shops still doing it, but you have to know someone usually.

That being said, our neighbors to the north are not subject to the EPA and tunes (good tunes, from my personal experience) can be found there still. The hardware I haven't looked into, so you'll want to do some digging or ask the tuner you go with where you can get reliable delete pipes right now. Ebay is probably not a good idea; most everything I have seen on there as of late has pretty inconsistent and bad reviews regarding fitment.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

· Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Cooper Rugged Trek, Paragon Bed Cover
4,257 Posts
I have no experience with them. Look at MotorOps. I had a truck with their tunes and would purchase again if I was going to tune and delete my truck.

· Premium Member
873 Posts
I have a brand new, blank ezlynk if you decide to go that route and would like to save some money.

· Premium Member
1,805 Posts
EzLynk is nice and it’s convenient but what happens when they take down your tunes when the heat picks up on them and it will? You’re a little fucked at that point if you ever need to swap back and forth. I went down this road and am currently looking for an alternative.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Are there any Canadian companies that have dpf delete tunes that don't use ez lynk? If so I might just get a cts monitor because I don't like the idea of using my phone as a monitor.

· Registered
492 Posts
You dont need to use your phone if you domt want.

I run ez lynk, but still use a cts2 for my monitor.

Ez lynk is the superior platform for tunes imo. So much easier and more convenient to load tunes, get logs, etc.

· Premium Member
873 Posts
Did I mention that I had an edge eas shift on the fly for an LML to go with the ezlynk.
It allows you to switch tunes through an edge cts.
Oh and an obd2 splitter.

· Registered
774 Posts
That being said, our neighbors to the north are not subject to the EPA and tunes (good tunes, from my personal experience) can be found there still.
Ontario has now followed suit of emissions compliance with rules and regulations stricter than the EPA. Sucks!

Motor Ops is now moved to Quebec for this reason. I've had great experiences with them.

I am stuck in this mess now and likely going to have to reinstall some parts very shortly to renew my plate validation. Here they not only do the opacity test (smoke) but plug the truck into their computer and verify through the OBD port everything is working and installed.

I need a tuner that can manipulate the readiness statuses to be ready instead of n/a when scanned. PM me if anyone has some info to share!

· Super Moderator
4,257 Posts
Ontario has now followed suit of emissions compliance with rules and regulations stricter than the EPA. Sucks!

Motor Ops is now moved to Quebec for this reason. I've had great experiences with them.

I am stuck in this mess now and likely going to have to reinstall some parts very shortly to renew my plate validation. Here they not only do the opacity test (smoke) but plug the truck into their computer and verify through the OBD port everything is working and installed.

I need a tuner that can manipulate the readiness statuses to be ready instead of n/a when scanned. PM me if anyone has some info to share!
That's rough! Just a sign of the times, I suppose. I need to do some more research on Kory's emissions compliant tunes for the L5P.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.