Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The warranty has run out on my 2019 L5P. Its time to start doing my own back yard oil changes. I was just curious as to what brand, viscosity, and weight, are yall running in your L5P's? And why? Any specific oil filters yall using? Im located in Kentucky so winters arn't to harsh, if that makes a difference. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
942 Posts
I'm a little further north in MI, but I switched the truck to Rotella T6 5W-40 shortly after I bought it in July. The T6 got rid of my typewriter click at idle.

There's a couple threads on here regarding oil filters.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I thought they had 100K powertrain. You over that?

·
Premium Member
513 Posts

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
The warranty has run out on my 2019 L5P. Its time to start doing my own back yard oil changes. I was just curious as to what brand, viscosity, and weight, are yall running in your L5P's? And why? Any specific oil filters yall using? Im located in Kentucky so winters arn't to harsh, if that makes a difference. Thanks guys.
Engine Oil : Like Melonhead I use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 (full synthetic). Has the lowest ash content which extends life of DPF.

Oil Filter : Baldwin 1441. Best oil filter per oil filter comparisons. The D-Max 2019 Oil Filter Shootout

Reactions: shunter2005

·
Registered
660 Posts
I like the synthetic oil but many others have had luck with regular Dino oil for millions of miles so you need to decide if you want to spend the extra money on synthetic oil. Trucks call for 15/40 oil. Shell started making the T6 in 15/40 too. The 5/40 is designed for colder weather but I have (and many others) put it in their trucks year round. Now I’m using the 15/40 in summer and switch to 5/40 in the winter. Mobile 1 is also a good synthetic if you want to spend $30+ per gallon.
Baldwin oil filters for me too

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Rotella 15-40 T6 and ACD stock filter

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Your “service plan” is up NOT your warranty...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Your “service plan” is up NOT your warranty...
How long is the service plan? 2 yr 24000 mi. That's what it was on a certified used I bought several years ago.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just changed mine in my lml with kirkland (costco brand) 15w-40 heavyduty oil and the fram tg oil filter. I also added hotshots stiction addative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
I use the Amsoil Signature Series 5-40 and a EA Filter. Not to hit this too hard (long story covered on many other threads) but most of the product mentioned in this thread as "full synthetic" are just super refined dino oils with additives. The term is used and abused, has been for many years now.

Shell does make a real synthetic base stock oil (HELIX) but not for diesels. Shell Helix Fully Synthetic Motor Oils | Mauritius

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
I like the synthetic oil but many others have had luck with regular Dino oil for millions of miles so you need to decide if you want to spend the extra money on synthetic oil. Trucks call for 15/40 oil. Shell started making the T6 in 15/40 too. The 5/40 is designed for colder weather but I have (and many others) put it in their trucks year round. Now I’m using the 15/40 in summer and switch to 5/40 in the winter. Mobile 1 is also a good synthetic if you want to spend $30+ per gallon.
Baldwin oil filters for me too
I run the exact same setup. Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic - 5W-40 in the winter & 15W-40 in the summer. Also use the Baldwin B1441 oil filter since it was rated the top oil filter regarding quality. Baldwin oil filter only costs a few bucks more than the GM oil filter when purchased in 3-packs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like Amsoil. I use Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 15W-40 with a variety of oil filters. AC Delco, Fram, Fleetguard, and Baldwin in that order. I have been reading the Duramax Forum for opinions on oil filters. I will probably stick with Fleetguard or Baldwin.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Why does the warranty period have any impact on doing your own oil changes. The law is very specific about this, you do not have to use the dealer for service work to maintain your warranty, despite what the dealership may tell you. If you do have an issue and their is dealer maintenance information available it may help a little. Also powertrain warranty goes for 10 years as it is linked to emission requirements.
As for actual oil to use, based on lots of independent data Rotella T6 5w-40 is the hands down winner, but probably any synthetic 5w-40 diesel oil would be OK.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why does the warranty period have any impact on doing your own oil changes. The law is very specific about this, you do not have to use the dealer for service work to maintain your warranty, despite what the dealership may tell you. If you do have an issue and their is dealer maintenance information available it may help a little. Also powertrain warranty goes for 10 years as it is linked to emission requirements.
As for actual oil to use, based on lots of independent data Rotella T6 5w-40 is the hands down winner, but probably any synthetic 5w-40 diesel oil would be OK.

does rotella t6 claim extended oil change intervals like amsoil does ?? just curios.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im not sure what Rotella claims far as oil life. Ive seen Youtube videos of people pushing upwards of 15k between oil changes. No thank you. Ill spend the extra money and keep it to every 5k.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I decided a few trucks ago to just do it when the computer tells me too. Easy that way. Depending on my driving sometimes 4k in 3 weeks or 1k in a month it varies on the mileage intervals that the computer recommends.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts