Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Buying an 06 LBZ with 80k on the ticker. Excellent condition, seems mechanically sound, balance rates good, no sign of HG failure. Can buy an extended warranty that covers injectors, trans, HG, cp3, wheel bearings, most other power train components for 3 yrs 30k miles for 2500$ and 100$ deductible. It's an Allstate plan. Worth it or waste of money? What would you do?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I have never got or kept a warranty on anything. I also do my own work. But a guy at work bought a jeep and loves his warranty on it but it is also lifetime.

LBZ are not known for head gasket failures I would put that $2425 dollars in your pocket and pick up a pump rub kit from MA and drive it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

Anybody else have any input?

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you are going to leave the truck alone get it, if not just use that money for mods that are preventative and beneficial to the life of your truck.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hands down get it. I got extended warranties on my last truck and current and both paid for themselves. A little extra per month but the peace of mind is great. But then again, my warranty covers a vast amount of things. All depends on the warranty. At $2500 it should be top notch. I think that is what I paid but mine is "Warranty Solutions" through Wells Fargo and was the best they offered.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I would not buy extended warranty, but I am a Dave Ramsey listener! I pay cash for my vehicles, that is why I still have an 03. I just can not bring myself to go to the bank and pull that kind of money out of my bank account.

Just Say "No" to Extended Warranties - daveramsey.com

Reactions: rd05lly

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
My LBZ has 220k - I bought it new in Baltimore & drove it back to Phoenix.
Seven years and haven't bought a part at the dealer or had it in for repairs.
I have changed t-stats, idlers & a belt, front end stuff and two sets of wheel bearings.
And, other stuff.
But, never used the warranty (36k) and haven't needed it after it expired.

If you are traveling coast to coast or just want piece of mind, an extended warranty is the way to go.
You have a great platform with the '06 - either way will work well for you.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm buying it from out of state, so I'm leaning towards yes. Got a better quote from my bank, 3yrs 36k for 2000$, covers all the expensive stuff... Think I'm gonna go with it. If at the end of three years i never needed it, I figure 2gs for 3 yrs of better sleep may not be the worst thing that's ever happened to me :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
^^^ :thumb

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
I really don't think they are worth it. Put that money aside (rainy day fund). Not that the deal isn't bad, it's just (IMHO) not worth it. I'd sleep better knowing I didn't pay for an extended warranty, & kept that money aside for a rainy day.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I really don't think they are worth it. Put that money aside (rainy day fund). Not that the deal isn't bad, it's just (IMHO) not worth it. I'd sleep better knowing I didn't pay for an extended warranty, & kept that money aside for a rainy day.
This makes zero sense. By putting the money aside you still can't spend it. Let's say your tranny goes. There goes your rainy day fund. Ok you're covered, but what about down the road you have some other issue??

A warranty is there for you time and time again even if the repairs exceed what you pay for the warranty.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
This makes zero sense. By putting the money aside you still can't spend it. Let's say your tranny goes. There goes your rainy day fund. Ok you're covered, but what about down the road you have some other issue??

A warranty is there for you time and time again even if the repairs exceed what you pay for the warranty.
Except they pick the parts and where it gets fixed for 3 years or 30k whatever happens first

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Except they pick the parts and where it gets fixed for 3 years or 30k whatever happens first
Maybe some plans... not mine :neener

I can pick the shop, as long as they're and ASE certified repair facility.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts

Why on earth would your tranny go? If you need an excuse for a warranty, at least come up with a good one. In the years on this site, I can not even remember a single issue when a COMPLETELY STOCK truck wrecked an Allison. Not under 100k miles:drink

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Says the guy who's never had a warranty.
Warrentys are for people who are ok leaving it all stock "boaring". :cookoo[1]:

My wife's 13 TDI "bought with cash" was tuned and deleated before it needed its first oil change. No warrenty on that ride, and I don't care :D

·
Registered
846 Posts
Ok here is my 2 cents.

Find a quality company that has a good reputation. Also look at each individual part they cover and read their policies that pertain to gaskets, seals, fluids, nuts and bolts. You want to make sure they will cover these things during a covered repair. You want to check on common failure parts too. If you go with a comprehensive coverage normally they will cover everything except damage, wear and tear, trim pieces, and weatherstrips. You are looking for something that also does not have a repair limit amount too. Some companies will only pay up to a certain amount on a job or in life of vehicle. Also make sure they cover diagnosis too. Do not be alarmed if they require you to perform an inspection first and if they send inspectors to verify your claims. In most cases it is well worth the money to have a back up plan. Just research research and then do more research. I have seen to many people get a bad warranty that doesn't cover anything. For engine and transmission issues some will not cover wear and tear parts like clutches, pistons and rings.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.