Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inside of my engine bay is a little dirty and just real dusty! I have seen people just spray them out with a hose... is that ok? And what about spraying it down with some purple power or something?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I spray mine off with a power washer here at work everytime it gets muddy, once every couple weeks. Hasnt hurt anything yet. I just try to stay away from the air filter.

·
Registered
984 Posts
spray cool engine down with simple green let soak in then pressure wash off then air-hose it as dry as you can so water doesnt sit in bays and connectors dont short. Also stay away from the alternator as much as possible. it can get wet but dont drench it

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Wellllll... I soak the shit out of mine the only thing i'm careful around is the connectors and the ecm,pcm, and the fuel module by the fuel filter... the rest is fair game, not a lick of trouble after 6 years, this is with pressure washers.

Spray nine works wonders on diesel and oil to btw.

·
Registered
984 Posts
welllllll I prefer not to mess with the copper windings on any of mine!! just sayin degrade the altenator and well you could spend alot of time and money between batteries and chasing a problem!

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I pressure wash mine then go through with wipes every so often. I try to keep it as clean as possible.

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
welllllll I prefer not to mess with the copper windings on any of mine!! just sayin degrade the altenator and well you could spend alot of time and money between batteries and chasing a problem!
Water isn't gonna hurt it, what you think happens when it rains...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
i use simple green, hose it down and start up the backpack blower to dry. everythings good my way aswell. spray away!

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
i use simple green, hose it down and start up the backpack blower to dry. everythings good my way aswell. spray away!
Never seen anyone use a backpack blower to dry the motor before :rofl:rofl:rofl thanks for that mental image!

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I have used solvent-[mineral spirits] for many-many years. It really cuts the grease/oil and drys fast. Don't have to worry about shorting connectors or electronics. I do it in the garage, and use cardboard to catch the debris.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
I like to get my engine as hot as I can, then I use ice water to quickly cool it, of course immediately followed by applying heat with a torch and repeated ice water.... JK..

This is a good question, you always hear of the horror story. With my luck, that would be me...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts