Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HC DRW 4WD
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure of the turbo terminology but heard a noise the other day that sound like a blow off or waste gate sound. Don't remember hearing it before. I was coming down a off ramp and accelerated to get into another lane then let off real quick and that's when I heard it. I got it to mimic it again by accelerating then letting of real quick. Is this normal. Sounds kind of like tires sliding side ways when turning fast. Don't ever remember accelerating then getting off of it quickly like that before so that could be why I've never heard it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Unsure what it might be. I've never heard either of my trucks make a sound like you describe (LBZ & LMM)

·
Registered
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HC DRW 4WD
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it could be my exhaust. I did put a new system on, straight pipe from down pipe back. Could it be exhaust sucking back in from the rapid decrease in accelerating.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
LLY & up dont have a wastegate. They are (VVT) Variable Vane Turbos.
As for the sound, my guess is turbo bark. Try easing into the pedal to pass or as you step on it, try to ease off the pedal. Dont let off so quickly.

·
Registered
468 Posts
With your new straight pipe you will hear it alot more. It is your VVT vanes cycling. As said above it happens when u let off quick while you have some boost built up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.