Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What water do you guys use when you wash your biodiesel? I have been using reverse osmosis water but I've considered using tapwater (city water not well water). Is that a bad idea or does it not matter what kind of water I use as long as I check the ph level? Any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
297 Posts
your running bio up in bottineau? have many gelling problems with it? it gets plenty cold up here in the winter.

·
Registered
582 Posts
What water do you guys use when you wash your biodiesel? I have been using reverse osmosis water but I've considered using tapwater (city water not well water). Is that a bad idea or does it not matter what kind of water I use as long as I check the ph level? Any input would be helpful.
It isn't necessarily the type of water, as long as it resembles clean tap water.
The trick to water washing is how you do it and the size of the water droplets, the finer the better. If you are just spraying a garden hose, then you may wind up with a load of soap instead of fuel.

The ideal is a mist that settles on top and gradually makes it way down through the bio, collecting the remaining particles of glycerol.
If you have ever been to a resturant on a hot summer nite that opperates a mist system (swamp cooler) outside to keep the guest comfortable, THAT is the type of mist you want to use. Too many get in a hurry when water washing, take your time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
your running bio up in bottineau? have many gelling problems with it? it gets plenty cold up here in the winter.
Im just starting to run biodiesel. Infact I havent even put it in my truck yet, Im about to test it on an old furnace before I dump it into a $20k truck. I am a little puzzled what im gona do for winter though. Back to petro I suppose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts