Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I apologize if this is not in the correct forum, mod please move if needed. I purchased my 2017 3500HD last week and am just learning about the Duramax engine. After driving about 400 miles I received "water in fuel " message about 3 times. The first time 2 times was a couple nights after I brought her home, about 300 miles, I fueled up twice , once at a Sheetz right off the highway and the second time at a place I used all the time for my previous diesel.
Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter, dealer provided me some paperwork that stated they replaced it also only a few hundred miles ago, and added Diesel 911 to the tank. I put in about 10 ounces to about 15 gallons of fuel. I drove my truck for about 50 miles and then today I received the same message this afternoon.
What do you all recommend be my next step? Should I add more Diesel 911 and run the tank low and fuel up again at a different location?

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Drain the filter into a clear container to see if water is present. If there is no water and the light stays on you have a sensor problem. If there is water and the light goes off and back on a few miles down the road it’s time to drain your tank and get fresh fuel. The diesel 911 is for gelled fuel emergencies in freezing weather so there’s no reason to be using it for this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, The message is not constant. It appeared 3 times , once after replacing the fuel filter. I captured the fuel that came out and it does not appear to have water in it. On the back of the bottle of diesel 911 it does state it can be added to remove water in the tank.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
John, The message is not constant. It appeared 3 times , once after replacing the fuel filter. I captured the fuel that came out and it does not appear to have water in it. On the back of the bottle of diesel 911 it does state it can be added to remove water in the tank.
Many products say many things that are not necessarily correct.

Water in a diesel engine spells Trouble. Think of dropping water into a pot of boiling oil....only it is now in your cylinders..............bad things happen!

Best NOT to run it through which is what would happen if it were mixed with alcohol which is probably what this 911 is using to capture it..

If there is no water it is a sensor issue, you still dont need the 911.

You got good advice from John Lee

·
Registered
810 Posts
Drain the filter into a clear container and let it sit for several hours, you may want to pull several containers of fuel out. Water can get turned into droplets and stay suspended for a short time. The reason for multiple containers is to verify that you did not get a container full of water. Also try to get the sample as soon as the light comes on to ensure the water is not getting pulled through the system before you take the sample.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Water in a diesel engine spells Trouble. Think of dropping water into a pot of boiling oil....only it is now in your cylinders..............bad things happen!

Best NOT to run it through which is what would happen if it were mixed with alcohol which is probably what this 911 is using to capture it..

Thanks, where is the sensor located?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

No doubt I received good advice, being I never had this problem before I am looking for advice. The Diesel 911 suggestion came from a neighbor who has had this problem before, I will not add anymore, thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drain the filter into a clear container to see if water is present. If there is no water and the light stays on you have a sensor problem. If there is water and the light goes off and back on a few miles down the road it’s time to drain your tank and get fresh fuel. The diesel 911 is for gelled fuel emergencies in freezing weather so there’s no reason to be using it for this.
Thank you. Just curious if you use any type of additive when you fuel up. I used to add Diesel Cleen Cetane Boost to my 2004 5.9 Cummins but am not sure if the newer, post DEF, diesels need any additive.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Thank you. Just curious if you use any type of additive when you fuel up. I used to add Diesel Cleen Cetane Boost to my 2004 5.9 Cummins but am not sure if the newer, post DEF, diesels need any additive.
Yes, I run opti lube xpd in every tank just to add some lube to the fuel. The ultra low sulphur fuel we get these days isn’t worth a damn.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
First, the WIF sensor is on the bottom of the fuel filter. When you change filters you move oit from one filter to the next.

Second he very best fuel additive to provide the lubricity lost in the manufacture of the ULSD is, believe it or not, Bio Diesel. Opti Lube is good but beat out slightly by Bio and no additional cost. Just source your fuel from a source that has B-5 to B-20 and you will be good to go.

Bio is also an excellent cleaning agent. It will clean your fuel delivery system from the tank to the injectors if you will use it regularly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First, the WIF sensor is on the bottom of the fuel filter. When you change filters you move oit from one filter to the next.

Second he very best fuel additive to provide the lubricity lost in the manufacture of the ULSD is, believe it or not, Bio Diesel. Opti Lube is good but beat out slightly by Bio and no additional cost. Just source your fuel from a source that has B-5 to B-20 and you will be good to go.

Bio is also an excellent cleaning agent. It will clean your fuel delivery system from the tank to the injectors if you will use it regularly.
So I changed my fuel filter a couple of days ago and I can say there is NOT a sensor on the bottom of the fuel filter. On my 2017 I unscrewed the large, using a 36mm socket, lower portion, removed the fuel filter, large and small o-rings and then installed the new fuel filter, with new o-rings. I did not see any wires or sensors .

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
So I changed my fuel filter a couple of days ago and I can say there is NOT a sensor on the bottom of the fuel filter. On my 2017 I unscrewed the large, using a 36mm socket, lower portion, removed the fuel filter, large and small o-rings and then installed the new fuel filter, with new o-rings. I did not see any wires or sensors .
Yep, sorry didnt' realize you had an L5P, all previous were as I stated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There is a small plug in the bottom of the filter housing. You can remove it to drain any water or check for water.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is a small plug in the bottom of the filter housing. You can remove it to drain any water or check for water.
Thank you, I have removed this plug 3 separate times, right after getting the water in fuel message, and each time I captured the fuel in a glass container. I have not been able able to detect any water in the fuel so far. Twice the message appeared during a heavy downpour, I mention this because another member was experiencing the same thing as me and he found a chaffed wire in an assembly just above his spare tire. I will have to look there also.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thank you, I have removed this plug 3 separate times, right after getting the water in fuel message, and each time I captured the fuel in a glass container. I have not been able able to detect any water in the fuel so far. Twice the message appeared during a heavy downpour, I mention this because another member was experiencing the same thing as me and he found a chaffed wire in an assembly just above his spare tire. I will have to look there also.
Yes. It sounds like you have a wiring or sensor issue for sure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
First I apologize if this is not in the correct forum, mod please move if needed. I purchased my 2017 3500HD last week and am just learning about the Duramax engine. After driving about 400 miles I received "water in fuel " message about 3 times. The first time 2 times was a couple nights after I brought her home, about 300 miles, I fueled up twice , once at a Sheetz right off the highway and the second time at a place I used all the time for my previous diesel.
Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter, dealer provided me some paperwork that stated they replaced it also only a few hundred miles ago, and added Diesel 911 to the tank. I put in about 10 ounces to about 15 gallons of fuel. I drove my truck for about 50 miles and then today I received the same message this afternoon.
What do you all recommend be my next step? Should I add more Diesel 911 and run the tank low and fuel up again at a different location?
Diesel 911 will do nothing for water contamination. There is a float at the bottom of the filter, when water is present it floats up and sets the light off. Drain the float and see what happens over time. Adding isopropyl gas dry may help but it sounds like you have a lot of water in the fuel. Other alternative is to drain the entire tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Diesel 911 will do nothing for water contamination. There is a float at the bottom of the filter, when water is present it floats up and sets the light off. Drain the float and see what happens over time. Adding isopropyl gas dry may help but it sounds like you have a lot of water in the fuel. Other alternative is to drain the entire tank.
You know I never noticed a float in the bottom of the filter . Where exactly should I be looking for the float on my 2017 ? The more I am dealing with this intermitten issue the more I think I have a sensor or chaffed harness issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts