Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick info- First day of 70's here in Colorado, driving home with a 1/4 tank of fuel and all of the sudden the DIC says "Water In Fuel". I had changed the filter just two months ago and installed a new WIF sensor because the lead on the old one was broken.
After getting home, I opened the WIF drain and got a handfull of what I thought was just fuel, but maybe not? Regardless, the message is still lit on the dash and I am not having driveability issues.
My plan is to add some Diesel Power 911 drying agent, fill the tank half way and change the fuel filter.
:help Any other insights are greatly appreciated!!!
Thank all, --Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well much like I self medicate-I decided to dig into this myself. After changing the filter did not solve my message issue and the cost of a tank drain and fuel system flush quoted at $500 seemed too much, here is what I did. Because I was not using this truck much, I ran my daily driving so the tank was as empty as I could stand. Attempted to syphon out any low hanging water from the tank, filled the tank with a half fill, opened the water bleed screw under the filter and drained the new filter. At this point, I figured the message should go off, but it was back on with a turn of the key even before I refilled the filter. This is telling me the sensor is crap and probably why folks even do a delete plug to get around them anyway...
--MG

1 - 2 of 2 Posts