Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 keeps giving me a warning for water in Fuel. I’ve drained the fuel filter bowl multiple times and do not have any water. I’ve also drained all the diesel with no water neither. It’s back in the dealer again today, but they don’t have a clue. Any suggestions? It currently has 3,500 miles.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Maybe a bad sensor? I'd think the dealer would try swapping that out first if you've already drained it.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Service adviser has no clue, or the tech has no clue?

If it's the diesel technician you need to develop a relationship with a different dealer's service department.
If it's just a service adviser, it doesn't matter as long as they are capable of passing the necessary and correct info to the service tech.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
It's got a warranty right? I'd say drive it until something happens and if there really is water in there then guess what, their fault and they fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer says that they replaced the fuel filter and sensor but the warning did not go away. They are contacting the GM technical assistance to see what to do next.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
6 years difference between yours and mine but every time I drove in the rain or hit a puddle that F*n light would go off... I put the sensor delete kit on it.. Had enough of that sh#t..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like an output from the fuel sender control module is not reading 5 volts as it should. They will replace it Wednesday when the part arrives and we’ll see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer said they replaced the fuel sender module and fuel filter but the light came back on after 100 miles. Took it back again and they stated circuit 6861 was shorted to ground. They found a chaffed wire at the harness breakout for Water in Fuel / temp sensor. Driving it again to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Chaffed wire on a 2017?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was there any solution. Mine is doing the same thing and started when message said 5% filter. Changed filter, reset and came back on immediately.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 keeps giving me a warning for water in Fuel. I’ve drained the fuel filter bowl multiple times and do not have any water. I’ve also drained all the diesel with no water neither. It’s back in the dealer again today, but they don’t have a clue. Any suggestions? It currently has 3,500 miles.
Hi. I have a question about how the water is drained?

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Hi. I have a question about how the water is drained?

Removing Water from the Fuel Filter
To drain water:
1. Turn the engine off and apply the parking brake.
2. Place a container under the filter drain valve. The filter drain valve is on the bottom of the fuel filter. The filter drain valve is under the vehicle on the driver side, inside the frame rail.
3. Open the drain valve by turning it counterclockwise. Allow the filter to drain until all of the water has been removed.
Close the valve.
4. Properly dispose of the water contaminated fuel.
5. Start the engine and let it run for a few minutes. During the draining process, air may have entered the fuel system. If the engine stalls, the fuel system may need to be primed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts