Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im new to this forum so go easy one me :) Can i use mater/methanol injection to clean the gunky oily/soot build up that is caused from the egr system? I have recently taken the intake off and noticed the sheer amount of build up of crap on it and couldnt imagine what the intake and motor looked like further down.

My egr is not yet blocked because I am waiting to see if i can clean it up before I remove it, also i have done the pcv valve reroute aswell so no more gunk being built up.. i hope, thanks for any help
Luke

·
Registered
434 Posts
No the water/meth will not clean that. You wouldn't want that crap running through your motor anyhow. Best way to clean it is to take it apart. Install the blocker plate ASAP, and do a PCV reroute also that will keep it a little cleaner.

Fill out your Sig. so we know what you got, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a product you know of that can clean it all without dismanteling the whole intake system? I have the egr motor unplugged for now and it has almost no flow through it with the 5 inch. Im just waiting to purchase a intake heater/egr delete pipe then ill make up a plate at the shop to block the up pipe

·
Registered
434 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats kind of a let down, Im sure all the build up is robbing some mpg's and hp. thanks anyways,
Luke

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Bringing back an old one. It appears water/meth injection would indeed have cleaned your intake/top end if you had done it. Maybe you have 5 years later ;). I've been researching this as I am planning a boost tube, and I wanted to determine whether or not to have extra bungs tapped. I will be having them tapped, and I will be installing water/meth for the sole purpose of steam cleaning the abused top end of my EGR diesel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts