Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an LB7 D with a bad water pump. I am located in Wisconsin. Has anyone had a repair garage replace the water pump for them. Could you give me the going cost to have the water pump replaced.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Got mine quoted today from the dealership. $300.00 for the Pump, and about $700-$800 for the labor... ... ... Looks like I will be changing a water pump this weekend.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Got mine quoted today from the dealership. $300.00 for the Pump, and about $700-$800 for the labor... ... ... Looks like I will be changing a water pump this weekend.
Thats crazy. Its not a hard job

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thats crazy. Its not a hard job
Yeah, all the repair books call for 9 hours of labor. Not sure what they're smoking, I did mine in two hours easy. Hardest part was getting the fan and harmonic balancer off.... I vote DIY, then buy yourself something nice for the truck with all the money you saved. Also, I only spent $150 for a new AC Delco pump and cover, gotta check google :thumbsup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
yea it's not to bad a job, buy the lisle tool for holding the engine and socket, sear on hear for a thread called something like do your water pump in an hour and fallow it. You can bang it out easy.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Pretty easy job there is some tricks you learn to speed it up after you do acouple I can do them in less than an hour now with new t stats.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I cannot justify that much money for a water pump so I am going to start the project today.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Best of luck to you. I found that I prefer to remove the entire fan clutch assy but that's up to you. 3 bolts and 2 nuts and its out. Helps if you have an adjustable angle ratchet too

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
541 Posts
Completed the project yesterday. DEFINITELY understand why the dealshirp was charging $1,000.00. Pain in the neck, but it is all done and I was able to treat rust while I had the truck tore apart.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Probably doing mine this weekend. Hopefully it won't be too bad. I've watched all the videos and I got all the tools I need for the job. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Get a pump with a welded gear.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Completed the project yesterday. DEFINITELY understand why the dealshirp was charging $1,000.00. Pain in the neck, but it is all done and I was able to treat rust while I had the truck tore apart.
This. For a simple water pump replacement it is a real pita.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
It's not too bad, i did mine in a little under 2 hours with burping the system. if you fallow the book instructions it will take you the 10 hours the dealer charges, but there is no need to remove the t-stat housing from the engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts