Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had to replace 3 water pumps in the last 9 months. 2 rebuilt and 1 AC Delco new. The new one failed after 1000 miles. Any ideas on what else could be wrong. I have a reliable certified mechanic that has replaced pumps on other duramax diesels.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
What's failing on them? Most common thing is to spin an impeller or gear off the shaft. Happened to me. Danville sells a pinned pump and DHD sells one with some kind of composite impeller or something. There's a few companies that offer pumps that have the impeller and gear welded to the shaft, but I've heard of those failing too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new pumps begin to leak after a few hundred miles. I get a low coolant warning. They are not leaking when I leave the shop. My mechanic is certified and has experience repairing Duramax diesels, including replacement of water pumps.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
What year truck, miles, any mods?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Headgaskets putting pressure in the cooling system?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax with Allison transmission , 186,000 miles no modification.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Headgaskets putting pressure in the cooling system?

kinda my thoughts. OP I'd check for combustion gasses getting into the cooling system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts