Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water pump is leaking from the weep hole. Is it possible for coolant to get into the motor? Parts are on order and plan on changing it out ASAP. Just want to make sure I don't have to worry about any secondary effects.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
if you dont have antifreeze in your oil now...you should be fine...

the o-ring that holds the antifreeze back from the oil is good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing seems to be leaking off and on. I guess it would be best to just replace it.
Well.....after I change the pump I was going to get the engine oil analyzed and see if any coolant got in there.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
FWIW, I have had 3 waterpumps changed for leaking out the weephole and done oil analysis after each one (I do it when I actually change my oil) and have had no antifreeze in the oil. But do get it checked just in case.

·
DIESEL MANIAC!!!
1,222 Posts
i drove on a leaky waterpump for 15,000 miles. lol. no water in my oil

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FWIW, I have had 3 waterpumps changed for leaking out the weephole and done oil analysis after each one (I do it when I actually change my oil) and have had no antifreeze in the oil. But do get it checked just in case.
WOW...three pumps. Were they all off the same truck? I did some reading on the forums and seems like a lot of pumps going out between 80-100K miles. I just turned 90k on mine. I guess this is normal. Well this is my first diesel and no better way to learn how to wrench on it than to "Just Do It"

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear ya Kyle. I could probably get some more miles out of this one but leaks bother me to much.

·
Registered
103 Posts
WOW...three pumps. Were they all off the same truck? I did some reading on the forums and seems like a lot of pumps going out between 80-100K miles. I just turned 90k on mine. I guess this is normal. Well this is my first diesel and no better way to learn how to wrench on it than to "Just Do It"
I just did mine three weeks ago.130,000 miles.Ive heard as low as 45000 miles on up.This isnt just a wham bam waterpump change either.If your mechanical, plan on at least 4-6 hours with all the new parts in your lap.It isnt hard but it is involved.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
It's a fun job.... I just did it last week. My gasket was in great shape so no coolant got in. You'll know when you see it off..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've done a lot of reading on the water pump replacement and it seems straight forward. I went a head and bought a tool to hold the flywheel through the tranny inspection pannl. It was like $40 bucks and figured it would make life easier. I fear no job so I guess you could say I'm "mechanically fearless" but maybe not so mechanically inclined....lol; Should be a fun filled day....

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
3 pumps in less than 60,000 miles on the same truck...thank god they were all under warranty. If this one is going to go, it needs to go by july .

one pump didnt even last 4,000 miles...second one didnt last but 8,000 (actually was leaking before i took it in..just waiting for spring) this last one has been in for nearly a year though...but I didnt drive my truck for about 6 months of the last year too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3 pumps in less than 60,000 miles on the same truck...thank god they were all under warranty. If this one is going to go, it needs to go by july .

one pump didnt even last 4,000 miles...second one didnt last but 8,000 (actually was leaking before i took it in..just waiting for spring) this last one has been in for nearly a year though...but I didnt drive my truck for about 6 months of the last year too.
Dang...seems like some bad luck. I've gotten "BAD" brand new parts before. You think that's the case with your water pump? I could see one, but three just seems excessive. Good luck with the current one....

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
The first one was probably because the tech was incompetent...took them almost 3 days to change the pump on my truck...

I think it is because of the cold here, but I dont know for sure. I looked at the last pump that they changed and didnt see any reason why it should have leaked. As long as they are covered by the warranty, i dont care. I havent had to flush my radiator yet because of the waterpump changes. I have only paid $100 for 3 pumps to be changed. The first time was under the engine warranty and the subsequent ones went bad before 12 months/12,000 miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts