Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Yes I did searches and no I couldn't find a thread relating to my issue)
Questions.
Does anyone know if there are plugs made for the dirt tubes in the air filter housing? And are there any problems caused by plugging them?

Backstory.
San Antonio had a nasty storm Saturday night. For those of you that live in Texas, you know how good the drainage systems are, and how a low point in a road turns into a pond. To give an idea of how deep one of these puddles was, a Crown Vic taxi got stuck in one and the water was about halfway up the rear bumper. The water got that deep after about 30 minutes of straight downpour that had me doing 30 on the freeway.
Well I ended up sucking some water through my air filter. Luckily it was only enough to throw P0102 (MAF) and make my engine sputter a bit, but not enough to damage the engine.
I had to clear the code a few times as I ran the engine and got it to stop sputtering. The next morning I replaced the air filter cuz it was freakin soaked. It was a Donaldson, and it weighed at least twice of what the new Wix that I put in weighed when I pulled it out.
Best I can figure is that it sucked it up through those dirt drain tubes in the filter housing. So I am thinkking about plugging them.

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
take a trip to home depot and get some test plugs like we use to plugs the resonator hose

·
Premium Member
26,485 Posts
Well....you know, it won't rain again 'till next year, right? :rof

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks TDI. Hadn't thought about that.

You're probably right Hook'em. And I'll be back up in Idaho sucking snow through it before then. LOL

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
The water is in your intercooler.........................Might want to get it out before the temps drop..................

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't remember how the stock intake pulls its air in but I know on my old 5.3 it pulled from the fender and when I was playin in the puddles I would get all kinds of water in the intake. That poor engine hated life. I think the duramax has a similar setup but i could be wrong. I'm pretty sure those drainage tubes are designed to be one way so that might hurt you more if you plug them and they can't drain anything that gets in.

By the way I avoid puddles now with the duramax for fear of what happened to you.

I was havin fun with our ford work trucks in that last storm. I like how they routed the 6.4 intake. I didn't see anyone stuck in the puddles of san Antonio but I only took the freeway from downtown to military drive getting to Stinson airport and that's it.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The water is in your intercooler.........................Might want to get it out before the temps drop..................
What would be the best way, pulling it out completely? Thanks.

Egan, the air box opening is against the fender. The reason I figured that the water got sucked up through the dirt tubes is cuz I was pushing water that I'm pretty sure got high enough to submerge them. And I was creeping through the puddle, not going fast splashing it up.

At least we weren't in my buddy's Mazda 3, or we wouldn't have been able to make it back to our hotel room. LOL

·
Registered
247 Posts
Same thing happened to me. What's the best way to get out of intercooler

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I popped my intercooler boot off the bottom the other day. No water came out at all. I reached in as far as I could get me fingers and didn't get anything but a slight oil residue. So I shoved a rag up in there and it came out dry. I'm thinking if I did get water in there, it wasn't too much and it must have evaporated cuz it's still hot here in San Antonio and I have driven it all the way across town and back a couple times.

My best suggestion for checking would be to put your passenger side on an incline, like maybe park your right tires on a curb so your truck leans towards the driver side. Pop the intercooler boot off (7/16" socket for the clamp) and see if you get any water to come out. Then shove a towel/rag of some sort in there and see if it comes back wet. I wouldn't shove more then 1 rag at a time in there though so you don't lose count and you make sure you get it all out (I used one of those red shop rags). When you put the boot back on, make sure it is seated all the way on and that the clamp is tight in the correct spot. You don't want to pop it off going down the road.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm out of midland where is too has been hot again in the 90s lol. so if anything I bet mine has dried out. Will check it later this evening though

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Just pull the cold side intercooler piping off the intercooler and shove some rags into it and get the oil and water (if any) out. If it is still warm where you are it should evap out of it, if it has gotten cold you should try and get it out. I helped a buddy who sucked a bunch of snow up clean his out and it was full of grey oil from the water mixing with the PCV oil buildup. That crapp can't be good for your motor to injest...............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts