Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the factory receiver on my 2005 Silverado 2500 with a heavy duty Curt hitch. My new dilemma, I bought a new WD shank for my Reese WD system due to the new receiver being higher (approx 2in higher). I need about a 7in drop, so I bought the Reese WD shank 3344. I slid the new hitch in the receiver, without the trailer hooked up, I have 8in clearance from bottom of hitch to the ground, I have not hooked up the trailer yet. Do I need to worry myself with my ground clearance? I am guessing I need to have the hitch off when I go up my steep driveway now....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cale

·
Registered
607 Posts
I recently replaced the factory receiver on my 2005 Silverado 2500 with a heavy duty Curt hitch. My new dilemma, I bought a new WD shank for my Reese WD system due to the new receiver being higher (approx 2in higher). I need about a 7in drop, so I bought the Reese WD shank 3344. I slid the new hitch in the receiver, without the trailer hooked up, I have 8in clearance from bottom of hitch to the ground, I have not hooked up the trailer yet. Do I need to worry myself with my ground clearance? I am guessing I need to have the hitch off when I go up my steep driveway now....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cale
If find that you have extra holes below the hitch head, that you're not using once you get the trailer hooked up and level, I would cut the excess off. Keep in mind that the bars are going to hang down as well, so if it's not any lower than the bars, it won't matter much when towing. Bet when not towing 8" sounds a bit low to me. Just make sure you're level, after that there's not alot you can do.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If find that you have extra holes below the hitch head, that you're not using once you get the trailer hooked up and level, I would cut the excess off. Keep in mind that the bars are going to hang down as well, so if it's not any lower than the bars, it won't matter much when towing. Bet when not towing 8" sounds a bit low to me. Just make sure you're level, after that there's not alot you can do.
Thanks, I forgot about the bars hanging down. When I get back to VA, I need to do some measuring and looking. If I use the upper section, I can cut about 2 inches off. I guess it would be prudent to remove the hitch while not towing, I like to keep it on for the random little car that thinks they can take on the back of my truck... :)

Cale

1 - 3 of 3 Posts