Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DIESEL MANIAC!!!
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i am working hard to get into a 07.5 to 08 k3500, i am curious as to what the weak points are with there. i don't want to hear transmission this/that. i want to hear about how well the interior holds up, what starts to rattle, what wears out, etc. i plan on getting one with about 100k on it and running it into the ground, hopefully 300k+ but just curious as to what starts to rattle apart.

on mine i know the doors leak enough air to drive anyone nuts, the overhead counsel can't keep that annoying little screw in, the dash rattles, something by the lower windshield rattles, mirror extension breaks on the trailer mirrors on the 03-05, etc. etc.

so what on the new body style will i have to look out for when i upgrade. the 04.5 is for sale

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've only had her a couple of months but the only thing I notice so far is the tow mirrors shake a bit too much for my liking. Only 40K though. :drink

·
Registered
480 Posts
Nothin major yet and I live down 7 miles of rough ass gravel roads. Only has 44xxx miles on it too. Just a few creaks from the interior but only on the roughest parts. Most of the noise is from the daughters car seat on the leather. I know the cloth interior will attract anything and everything from lint to animal hair etc, My future bo inlaw has a 07.5 gasser w/ cloth and thats how his seats are. He lives on some rough gravel too and has had no problems other that rock chips all over ( he has no running boards) Good luck on the search!

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
on mine i know the doors leak enough air to drive anyone nuts, the overhead counsel can't keep that annoying little screw in, the dash rattles, something by the lower windshield rattles
Most of those issues you mention are just kind of an "extended cab thing". Its pretty much impossible to get the body rigidity and cab structure strength of a regular cab or crew cab, so eventually, all extended cab trucks are going to be more prone to squeaks/rattles/interior annoyances than crew cab and regular cab trucks. The lack of b-pillar and large distance between the A-pillar and C-pillar makes it comparatively easy for the body to twist on rough roads etc...

JMO.

Ben

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
I've got about 82k on mine now. So far so good. Only real annoyances are a couple rattles at idle. There's the typical LMM dash rattle that comes from right around the gauge cluster at idle, most LMM's seem to have that. I also get one somewhere around the passenger rear window at times at idle. Other than that, no issues really. The leather is wearing about like I expected it to, not great but not terrible. The only big gripe IMO is that the paint is like tissue paper thin. Seems like a feather will scratch through the clearcoat and paint, all the way down to primer. If you care about looks, keep a coat of wax on it for sure!!

The +'s are no clunky steering shaft, no tcase pump rub. Other -'s are leaky tranny lines (like all 6 speed ally's), and at 100k you'll be replacing a few front end parts if the PO hadn't already.

But mine has treated me great so far, overall no big complaints really.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The dash panel directly under the steering wheel on my 2010 CC rattled from the day I picked it up at the dealer. Ive had the dash apart twice since then. Still rattles and I believe it is slowly driving me insane!

Of course for the two days I drove around with the dash taken apart the truck was silent! The way it should be.

Other annoying features: Or lack of:

1. No underhood light.
2. No interior courtsey lights.
3. No glovebox light.

50 grand well spent? I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
On my '08, which happens to be my first Chevy so I can compare to fairly new Dodge and Ford trucks.....

No underhood light. How Cheap!

Dash rattles at idle at the dash vent near the driver's door, and up near the windshield. I'm thinking of popping those pieces off and putting foam or 3M tape under them to see if it will eliminate it. Only does it at idle. Likely the frequency of the diesel idling causing it.

Small tires. I'm planning on 265's and wheel spacers to set the stock wheels out just a little. Prolly 1.5" rear and 0.5" front.

DPF sucks. Mine went into regen once and smoked out the whole neighborhood. Must have started when on the highway near home, but didn't stop as I went up a township road. It was really bad. I deleted the DPF and installed a programmer and am very happy now with the performance and towing capability of the truck.

That's about it for dislikes for me. So far I'm very happy with the truck overall. I LOVE the integrated brake controller and how it applies the trailer brakes progressively as you apply the trucks brakes. Love the cab size, the power, the shifting of the allison, the interior layout and comfort, the fact that I can see the hood (in my dodge all I could see was the wiper when driving), and THE RIDE! I love how this thing rides compared to Ford or Dodge 3/4 ton trucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My LMM is a leased company truck, 08 ECSB 4x4.. Just picked it up Friday, has about 60K miles on it, from the mud I knocked off of it with the pressure washer, the amount of bent stuff underneath and sandblasting from gravel roads, none of them were easy, it was either previously on a lease to a logging outfit, or something related to it, or just run hard and put away wet as a rental, as we got it from Tilden. It has a complete Moog front end in it, that doesn't look to be very old.
We have a few other NBS gas trucks in the fleet, so, I was expecting the typical extended cab rattles and the likes, surprisingly, other than some very nasty creaking out of the cab on off camber stuff and the typical dash rattle at idle it's in pretty decent shape.
The outer side bolster in the drivers side seat doesn't hold up well in any of these trucks, but being company trucks with lots of in and out and multiple drivers, that is a very high wear item.
Other stuff I've found to be common on these trucks is broken exterior door handles, power steering pumps outright failing(My d-max looks to have a new one,) and the ex-cabs have issues based on their design, the doors get loose on their latches pretty early in life if they're used alot, or if the truck sees alot of rough roads, and, the rear doors crack at the front corner of the door, on the body line below the window, every one I've seen has had this happen, including the 07 half ton we have at this base that never leaves the tarmac(not a bump or pothole to be found) and has just under 50K on it.
We have one 07 2500HD 6.0 that the cab rattles so bad it sounds like the front end is falling apart, fixing that is on next weeks to do list.
We've also had issues with the drivers side power window switches, and that is directly related to the design of the doors, with the window open, water drips off of the edge of the window opening, right onto the switches.
I'm sure after a few months I'll be able to report back with a better idea of how a D-Max truck holds up, as I usually average somewhere in the 4000-4500 mile a month range.

One thing I can say for certain, is compared to my Cummins and PSD, the around town fuel mileage is plain old horrible, I haven't calculated it yet, but, I'm expecting 13-14 US. Highway so far seems to be in the 17-18 range, which is OK, as I'm not paying for the fuel, but, I'm used to 20-22 out of both my 7.3 and first gen CTD.
Don't get me wrong, I like how the D-max rides and drives, and the power is great, but, I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'd own a NBS truck, having my own personal truck that isn't going to get driven and beaten by everybody and their dog is going to let me make a very well informed decision however.
Oddly, I got out of it for the first time in 5 days yesterday and into my 96 PSD ex cab long bed which is on 315's, and the Ford felt small and light compared to the Chevy, of course, being stock, there is no comparison in power....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts