Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weird howling noise in the front of the truck that only happens every other day or so, and only when speeds are around 60-65mph or when driving 45mph into a decent head wind. It is very anoying, and I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen before I tear the truck apart. Thanks,

Mav

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is the truck up to operating temp, or does it happen when the engine is still warming. Are you towing when this happens?

·
Registered
93 Posts
my only thought was your thermostat. Don't have electric fans do ya :confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
is it your fan kickin on and off? my fan liked to randomly kick in and out. towing or not, it didnt matter. it was not at any certain speeds though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Wouldnt be intermiten then.

·
Registered
133 Posts
it can be intermitent...like if u drive into the wind it could cause the tires to howl or if u drive away from the wind that could keep them from howling...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Read his post real carefully. Only happends when he is going 60-65 or when going 45 into wind.

But while were on the subject when was the last time you had the tires balenced or alighned>?

·
Registered
352 Posts
do you have a bug shield? Mine howled like crazy at the above mentioned speeds, until I tweeked the install on the bug shield, noise gone.
Thats a good one. :GoodJob

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's your fan. What mods are on the truck? If there was a previous owner, you may have some mods that have either reduce airflow through the fan area, or create more heat, a boost valve for example, will heat soak the charge air cooler and cause this. Just 5 psi in warm weather can trigger the fan.

It comes on goes, "wooooooooo" for maybe 10-30 seconds, then off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts