Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 lby duramax and have recently replaced the fuel regulator and all the flexiable fuel lines in the valley. I am now noticing classic signs of injector failer, white puff of smoke at start up, fuel knock when decelerating. The odd thing is it dose not smoke at all the time nor dose it knock all the time so my guess is the injector is just sticking open. Im in a bind because im sposed to be going to wyoming next weekend and i wont have time to tear into it before i leave and i cant afford the stealership. Any sugestions or ideas would be helpfull? Should i drive that far with this possible Problem? There is no signs of fuel in the crankcase that i can find.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Do the Fuel injector cleaning trick with the fuel filter and run some 2 stroke oil in the tank to help lubricate the injectors.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
see if you can find someone in the area with a V2 to check the balance rates... that way you know for sure if any are failing and which on it is.. also the injector cleaning as stated above should help! Should be ok for the drive

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yea lb7 my mistake.....im going to get balace rates checked and repost....with one known bad injector im nervous about the drive....id hate to be stuck in the mountains while driving 3k to go elk hunting!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Hell it'd just give you more time to hunt lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well boys here we go, not such good news the way i see it, these are the balance rates i got
1. -3.9 5.-3.7
2. 13.4 6. 3.0
3. 1.5 7.-4.0
4. -2.3 8. -4.1

I have noticed white smoke while at a stop under load and still have no other signs of oil in fuel although the knocking has stoped while running oil with my fuel. Just not sure i trust it on a 3500 mile trip in the mountains. What would you boys do if it was your ride?:help

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the same issue...drove it that way for a few weeks. White smoke at idle (most of the time), lopey idle, and fuel knock on occasion. I was always nervous about it and never took any trips longer than 50 or so miles. Someone else may chime in and let you know the possible mechanical repercussions in the worst case scenario...

·
Vendor
2,279 Posts
Them balance rates are not looking good at all.

I personally think you should be OK, but as stated above, I would throw a quart of 2 stroke oil at every fill up for good measure, and watch you oil pressure gauge in case an injector decides to crack. (Leaking fuel into the crankcase)

As far as driving it is concerned, what are your options? - Do you have another vehicle you could take, or would you have to cancel the whole trip if you opt to leave the truck at home?

Worst case, you could be in the middle of nowhere when you burn a hole through a piston, but this is a pretty rare occurrence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no were not going to cancel the trip for that would just be wrong....ill start walking if i gotta lol.....we can take a gaser suburban but its a half ton and were running a 14ft enclosed trailer in the mountains so it gets costly and its a big load for the old girl.
I may take another day off work and tear her apart. what do you guys think about using the fuel lines again? i could always change them down the road after i recoup some of the cost or is that a bad idea?

·
Vendor
2,279 Posts
There is no need to change the fuel lines. (Going from the rail to each injector)

Check out this write up: LB7 Fuel Line Corrosion

When you loosen the fuel line, all the dirt and dust sitting down there falls into the injector. Therefore, it would be a terrible idea to change the lines later on. The lines are rarely needed, and only needed in the case of a fuel leak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts