Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I finally got a break from the wife's ToDo list and installed my AmsOil Bypass kit and put in AmsOil full synthetic 5w-40. After getting everything installed and filled up I took it for a drive. About a mile down the road I start to hear what sounds like a pump hum that changes with the rpm. Its really noticeable at lower rpms when my oil pressure is down around 30. At increased rpm my oil pressure seams normal, around 60. I have checked my oil levels, all fine. I tried finding the noise but cant due to the engine noise, I only seem to be able to hear it from inside the cab. Anybody got any ideas, and should I be worried?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody have any ideas? Im worried I dont want mess my truck up!

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Bump for you...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, after all the help I have given out its amazing how I cant seem to get any. Thanks drtelco for the bump.

·
Registered
199 Posts
This is completely off the wall but I noticed it the other day on my truck... Did you have the AC on? My truck makes a whine similar to what your describing from the condenser... Just a thought...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, my AC was off, it hasnt been warm enough up here for it yet. It kinda sounds like the Power Stearing pump but you cant hear it from inside the engine bay. And it raises question because it only showed up after I installed the bypass kit. It only has me worried because I cant tell if its something else I have to start preparing to replace but without being able to identify it, Im at a loss...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump for me...come on, anybody!?

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I have to apologize, I did not see this thread until now. The only time I have heard of this kind of issue is when there was mounting location issues. Can you explain where you mounted it and maybe provide a pic?

PS, that is why there should be a specific Amsoil section of the forum, so that when someone has issues with Amsoil products, they have a specific place to share their questions where we will be notified and can help...

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
For future reference, when having issues with Amsoil products it is ALWAYS best to contact your sponsoring AMSOIL Dealer for Technical assistance. Posting something like this in this forum is not going to get the answers in a timely fashion.

Tanker, since I am your Dealer, PLEASE give me a call about this and with any other technical issues you have with our products. 276-233-0097 I am full time now and sit in my office working all day now. I could use the conversation at times.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, sorry not to get back to anyone for the past several hours. I did not mean for this to be anything against AmsOil. Im just curious if this noise is sometimes common after installing AmsOil, or if its just a coincidence. I will give you a call in the morning Chris. Im not worried about the oil, as much as a bad oil pump or something.

Also to answer everyones question on where I mounted it...under the rear drivers seat. I could not mount it closer to the engine bay due to weird support and the torsion bar being in the way. It is basically right behind the torsion bar support bolted under the rear floor board. Sorry I dont have picture, but I dont think that is the issue. The sound is definitely not coming from the bypass, and sounds to be coming from the engine bay. I cant pick it up if im under the truck. Only in the cab.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Ok, the issue here is the install location. We have seen this one other time in our group and the issue was the same thing. The problem lies in the fact that you mounted the system to the cab itself. When this is done, you will actually hear the flow of oil through the bypass unit. There is nothing wrong with the unit, oil or otherwise. It is a result of the "Vibrations" of the oil flow through the unit that causes vibrations noises through the bottom of the cab.

For future reference to anyone installing a bypass system on their truck, if you mount it to the bottom of the cab itself, you will more than likely have this type of noise that you will hear when rolling.

hope this helps...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts