Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally took the bait today and I'll be picking up my '07 (classic style) Silverado 2500 Crew tomorrow. A little tough to sign on the dotted line beside a payment about $200 more than my mortgage, but what the hell.
I'll try and get the pictures figured out so I can have some in "my garage" soon. It's white with tan cloth buckets. Nothing flashy although I'm gonna add some chrome in months to come. This thing has more power than I'll ever need so I'll be looking into mods that will mostly help fuel economy. If any of you have some reasonably priced setups that work well let me know. Also a little curious about oil. I know the Allison filter should be changed every 10,000-15,000 miles.
If I am to change to synthetic engine oil in the future how long should I run before switching?? Also are there brands that are better than others?? I don't put on many miles so a synthetic oil would easily last 6 months...although I'm of the belief that changing oil too often is better than not often enough.
Been reading this forum for a few months now and I enjoy it.....and now I have some hands-on use for it!

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
Welcome and good choice in trucks!! You won't be dissappointed. Intake, exhuast and a mild tuner should help some mileage and be reasonable on price. I've got a Silverline 4" turbo back system and that's it right now and I need to add some more stuff but I'm still "shopping" to figure out what I want! Goodluck and keep on truckin!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!!$200 more than your house payment!!:rof
Those things cost as much as a house!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
congratulations youll love it

·
Banned
41 Posts
Congrats on the new truck. I just ordered a LMM, also in white, so I know your pain in having to wait for it.

I spoke to the fleet sales manager at my dealership. His advice was to drive the thing like you stole it for the first 600 miles. Hitch-up the biggest trailer you can borrow a few times and give it sh*t. At 600 miles change oil.

He recommended 100% Synthetic, Amsoil or Castrol as #1 choice and Mobil1 as #2 choice. AC filters are good for the engine and Allison for tranny. I found the Allison filter was 1/3 the price from Allison. On the long run, the synthetc works out to be same price or little cheaper than regular oil.

My present 93 Chevy 4x4 (350cid) has about 110K miles on it. Ran Castrol since the first 1000 miles. I change my oil/filter every 15,000 miles. Changed valve cover gaskets a month ago and the rockers, galleys and valve covers at PVC and oil filler clean like new. Did a compression test and had 4lbs. difference between Hi/Lo readings.

I save the oil every second change. Let it sit for a month or two then pour off 3/4 of it into a clean jug and use it in the garden tractor, lawnmower, snowblower and chain oil for the chainsaw at the cottage. The snowblower is a 1981, garden tractor is a 85 and the small chainsaw is a 74, and all run like new. Guess with the diesel, I'l have to use the Castrol from the car.

My wife says I'm cheap!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I love it, although it seems determined to make it tough for me. It's going in tomorrow with 150 miles on it with what I think is a leaking converter seal, a nail in the tire, and who knows! I still think it's great, just hope this isn't a sign of things to come!

·
Banned
41 Posts
Chin-up, nows the time to get it all out in the open and fixed up on waranty. By the way, did you purchase the GM Protection Plan? I took out the additional 72mo./100K miles for $2100, zero deductible. Three features I liked, "normal Wear Coverage, Rental/ Alternate Transportation coverage and Towing and Lodging costs". My primary concern is all the electronics. Under that hood, short of changing oil and filter I don't know sh*t from puddin'.
Good luck and share your experience with the LMM.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, glad it's on warranty. I sold my ford 1/2 ton and I will really miss the service I got with my local ford guys. I've heard bad things about our GM dealership service department, but thought I'd give them a chance. I got an additional 2 years and 40,000 kilometers of bumper to bumper warranty for about $1300 with $100 deductible. So I'm totally covered for 5 years, 100,000 kms. You can't fix much on a diesel for $1300.

·
Dmax 4M 4EVER!
53 Posts
congrats dude

I just bought my 05 dmax last week and drove it home the day before I had to go to work for a week...

I am a race engine machinist by my own account and have been involved in mechanic work all of my life. I work for Chevron, who happens to refine and formulate some of the best conventional lubricants in the world, and I stand firm by running Amsoil 100% synthetic after the first oil change. During the warranty period you must follow manufacturer recommendations for oil change interval! I also believe that you need to install the Amsoil bypass filter system. It will filter your oil better than anything else, and its design will not restrict oil flow or delivery. It should not void any warranty, but verify with your GM dealer before you do it.... these things will allow you to change your oil every 7500 miles or more and dont worry about the calendar time unless you have a cold winter/warm summer that requires a grade change. I also believe in sending oil samples in to the lab to determine when your oil becomes "dirty" just looking at it on the stick isnt really an indication with diesels. Diesel engines typically create a lot of soot, and combustion byproduct saturates the oil right away turning it dark (especially if you fuel it up with a box, for more ponies) requiring a top notch filter setup if you want to safely run extended drain intervals. Do some internet research, go to all the oil sites (avoid the sales hype) and see what you feel comfortable with, if you want more info I will be glad to help. I am going to install my filter setup ASAP, and I will have tips and tricks for sure.
1 thing to consider: Amsoil backs its research and development of the first real 100% synthetic oil with thousands of lifetime customers who have logged literally hundreds of thousands of miles on their cars without engine or transmission failure and thats why I run it, I personally have 248k on a 91 Chevy K2500 / 350 / 700r4 all in Alaska and lots of hard towing and off road wheelin God Bless the old dog.

·
Dmax 4M 4EVER!
53 Posts
congrats dude

OOPS I hit it twice.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts