Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So when i started to do a egr delete along with fixing all those crazy low pressure fuel lines that crack I went ahead and took my Y-Bridge off to do some repairs. Now I know that when the egr delete is done the aftermarket intake pipes are everywhere. I just wanted a little better fit than the cheep crappy intake pipes you can get all day for nothing. So i went and got an over the alternator intake pipe from kb diesel for like 2hundo. Now I am in the process of porting the y-bridge and welding it solid to keep from having any issues. Here are my steps and updates as I move forward.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, man this stuff is dirty. I mean the castings when i weld all the pores in the metal open up and give me suprises. I of course made a cleaning pass with the welder but it was still tuff. Nothing a grinder can't fix!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not real pretty welds. In fact almost ashamed. But there wont be any boost leak!

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
938 Posts
Nice work there. I actually thought of doing that on my dads truck when we swapped turbo but ended up not needing to remove y-bridge so...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I did learn a valuable lesson. Take the 2 studs that are on the bottom rearward part of the intakes and move them to the front bottom where the up pipe from the Y bridge is. This is a heck of alot easier to get nuts on the front then trying to start bolts because of the neck on the pipe getting in the way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I did finish sanding and smoothing out the transitions and the welds on the inside. I guess there is about 20-30% more airflow from this simple procedure. Definitely smoothed out that airflow. I honestly only did this because I have heard nightmares of people doing egr deletes and the neck keeps blowing out because it is so under braced after removing all the other components that keeps that neck secure into that bridge. I used 5356 aluminum welding rods with ac tig argon gas.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow looks great! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Here is my poor man’s version 😂

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is so funny! Exactly what I was afraid of. Hey, as long as it works.......sometimes thats all we need.

·
Registered
2004 LLY Silverado Crew Short, mouth piece, Studded, down/up pipes, 4" strait,
8 Posts
I used the o-rings and added a small screw to hold pipe into y-bridge. lock tight screw all set. Yours looks pretty good and solid for sure. if welding was going that poorly it's either really poor aluminum or actually magnesium. Some have made the mistake of welding the rear transfer case half which is magnesium and too brittle but hey whatever works.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts