Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lets see what you guys have for welders in your shops/garages...

My pops used to be a machinist, so did some tig growing up, and have a old arc for welding on the tractors. Finally broke down and decided to buy a mig, and while I have never mig welded, they are pretty easy to learn if you have any sort of welding background, prolly pretty easy even if you dont... Anyways, was gonna get a Lincoln because I have always ran red, but the Millermatic with a $200 rebate and a free spoolgun pretty much sold itself... And considering I have a arc welder in the shop couldn't justify the extra dough for a Lincoln 210mp....

Anyways, here she is, this is after I made the welding cart (gotta make your own welding cart, should be the welders first project).

And some practice welds trying to get myself and the welder dialed in. C25, .030" wire, 3/16" mild steel. Still trying to figure out the whole mig thing, weird not having a pedal and a filler rod. :)

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
:thumb Keep it up.

I'd like to get one.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I have a Hobart 125EZ, serves 95% of my needs. When I need something bigger I go over to my buddy's place or the father-in-laws.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Will update with some pics after work. I'm still rocking my trusty 90's model Syncrowave 250 and Bernard watercooler. Massive power hog, but it'll weld most anything.

-Gary

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will update with some pics after work. I'm still rocking my trusty 90's model Syncrowave 250 and Bernard watercooler. Massive power hog, but it'll weld most anything.

-Gary
Nice welder! I would love to pick one up for the right price... Then I could loose the old stick welder and the spool gun for my mig between that and Millermatic 211 I would be set!

Next big purchase will be a plasma cutter, actually just picked up a second tank with straight argon for welding alum, plus then if I run out of C25 I can always get by with the argon...

I learned to weld on my dads old Lincoln Squarewave Tig.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Syncrowave 200DX for TIG and a 212 for Mig

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Another Miller 211 here.

That's the best welder for the money IMO

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another Miller 211 here.

That's the best welder for the money IMO
I agree, unless your doing production then you wanna step up to the 250 amp class welders with way better duty cycles... but for home and occasional shop use cant beat it.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
A Snap-on 170 Muscle mig. A old Air-Co 250 Heli-arc tig and a old Lincoln pipeliner. All serv me well...

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I worked a ton of OT the past few weeks so got my new plasma... Hypertherm Powermax 45. Stoked for the 3 day weekend coming up, gonna get a bunch of projects done around the shop. Finally gonna get around to running air lines in the shop...

Need to finish the welding table as well... And make a headache rack for the truck... and finish a new welding cart...

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
Just make sure your air is really dry and oil free...if not it will eat tips like there's no tomorrow lol. The 45 is a great machine, I tested it up to the 1" max and it took a bit, wasn't pretty, but it cut it.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
I worked a ton of OT the past few weeks so got my new plasma... Hypertherm Powermax 45. Stoked for the 3 day weekend coming up, gonna get a bunch of projects done around the shop. Finally gonna get around to running air lines in the shop...

Need to finish the welding table as well... And make a headache rack for the truck... and finish a new welding cart...
Newly found ambition come whit it ??? I need one of them if it did ...:rofl

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Miller 211 mig, Lincoln SP-200 mig, Lincoln 250 Idealarc tig/stick, Hypertherm Powermax 45...:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Newly found ambition come whit it ??? I need one of them if it did ...:rofl
I wish... Been so busy around the ranch trying to get stuff finished up before winter haven't had time for anything else... Gotta do some tractor work and finish a shelter on Saturday, then after that gonna use the rest of the 3 day weekend to drink beer and spend some time on the projects in the shop....

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Miller 211 mig, Lincoln SP-200 mig, Lincoln 250 Idealarc tig/stick, Hypertherm Powermax 45...:)
Nice little setup, i used one of those SP200's a long time ago, they are work horses! Still amazes me how much technoligy has come along and how much smaller and lighter they have managed to get welders....

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Nice little setup, i used one of those SP200's a long time ago, they are work horses! Still amazes me how much technoligy has come along and how much smaller and lighter they have managed to get welders....
Thanks Novaman... Yes they are true and tested workhorses.. Ive used this for 20 yrs and its never let me down.. Not to mention the time put on it prior to me. One of the best old school welders around..IMO. But that 211 is very impressive for a portable.. Nice and smooth.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Decided to build a new cart that could house both tanks and the plasma plus all my other welding crap...

Still need to weld one some cable management and a way to secure the tanks then paint...

But for now, here it is... 16 ga 2x2 tubing...

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Nice job Novaman...Thats a perfect little cart.. nice welds.. Gotta love those 211's...I see powder coat in that carts future. :neener

1 - 20 of 34 Posts