Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

What’s with the air filter and box design??

3K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  38sFinest 
#1 ·
I was inspecting my air filter for the first time today, as I’ve only owned the truck for the last 2k miles or so, and I found a thin layer layer of dust in the intake. Sadness.

It’s evident where the dust got in from, as there’s a build up around the drivers side of the top cover seal to the air box. See the last attached picture.

Upon closer inspection it seems as though the filter just drops into place and rests on some tabs in the bottom of the box. There’s a foam lip around the upstream side of the filter but it doesn’t actually seal as it’s laying on the tabs in the bottom of the box...

The filters downstream side butts up against the box edge but it’s a hard rubber against the plastic box, with no way to wedge the sucker into the box to form a seal. The filter OD is just slightly larger than the intake box ID. It’s sits pretty damn flush, but still, what gives??

Surely GM didn’t design the filter to just lay against hard plastic without clamps or an O ring seal, or some grease or something...

Can anyone explain this to me?? I’m pretty upset to find dirt I’m the intake tract because of this.

yatzy online multiplayer

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
That sucks buying a truck like that. Hope it didn't cause damage .

THE SEAL FITS ON THE OTHER WAY AROUND. The filter is on backwards

Reactions: J83
#3 ·
The filter is installed backwards.

In the 1st pick, your left thumb is on the gasket that should be inserted in the hole. I wet it with some water to aid the slide in. I also use a long pry bar to help work the bottom in as I push on the top.

Properly installed, there is no better filtration than the PowerCore filter.

#5 ·
I don’t know if this will make you feel any better, but that is a good filter. Take the intake apart and clean everything up and put it together correctly and you should be okay.

#7 ·
Correct. Visually, it has a lot of life left, but it's full of crap on the wrong side of the draw. Flipping it will reverse flow the dirt in it.

Donaldson P610875 Filter....'bout $30, shopped smart.

Also; that filter not only draws from the front side of the cylinder, it also can pull thru the sides of the canister as well.

Reactions: J83 and 407driver
#8 ·
Thanks. I wouldn’t re use that for the same reason Hook Em stated. I actually ran the powercore g2 in my rzr Turbo and while it was good for a bit, after a VERY dusty ride it got so clogged that it drug dirt clear through the filter and into the intake. The dirt can’t fall off the sides of the filter like a normal conical filter would. It just gets trapped in the fins inside it.
Im about to order a new Donaldson though, I like to continue with OEM equipment as this truck isn’t modded in almost anyway. I’ll be doing an oil change this week too before I head out to River Rest this weekend.

#9 ·
Good catch. I’m a little off today.

#10 ·
So, when I was cleaning the intake as best as I could reach, I took the connecting duct off of the air box and downstream side, and reached my hand with a microfiber about a foot into the remaining intake where it 90s down into the engine and the rag was coming out pretty black. Is that normal? There wasn’t a ton caked on or anything, but a good wipe around came back with black marks on the rag. I know the EG and PCV recirculates but I’m not sure where they dump back in. The rest of the tube had very light dust, no black soot or residue.

#11 · (Edited)
After removing the flex tube, The 3rd piece is the Turbo inlet duct, which uses a big screw hose clamp to attach. That piece also has the port tube that hooks to the CCV lines, so it's likely you'll see some oil residue when reaching in.

You could remove the inlet duct and thoroughly clean it, but I think you're fine with wiping it out.

#13 ·
Made a mistake ordering the AC Delco filter with the same P/N instead of the powercore...any opinions? I’m considering buying the powercore, it’s only 30 bucks, but I have to run the AC Delco for a trip this weekend so I can’t return it for the Donaldson either way.

#14 ·
Just run with what you have....it'll be better than what you had :teehee

Source the PowerCore on the next change.
I like buying in bulk on various filters, saves on shipping and I've got 'em on the shelf ready, when I have the time and it's convenient.

#15 ·
IDK if you run in any snow but if you do it's a good idea to carry a spare air filter. Driving extended lengths of time in blowing snow can actually cause the air box to fill with snow, soaking the filter can cause reduced power code. Changing out the filter to a dry one fixes this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.