Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 3500 SRW
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LML always displayed in the 13’s give or take a little while driving. Maybe 14 after start up. This truck both on the guage and my Edge hangs out around 15.1V. Seems high to me. Long drives short drives. Hooked to trailer and solo. Is this an L5P thing? Sorry if I missed this elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
My LML always displayed in the 13’s give or take a little while driving. Maybe 14 after start up. This truck both on the guage and my Edge hangs out around 15.1V. Seems high to me. Long drives short drives. Hooked to trailer and solo. Is this an L5P thing? Sorry if I missed this elsewhere.

Voltage can read as low as 12.5v, or as high as 15+. Depends on needs.
Fully charged batteries can show 12.5ish as the regulator will actually shut off, but I have seen well over 15v when towing and the camper batteries were discharged after a night dry camping

·
Registered
2019 3500 SRW
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strange my truck see’s such a need even empty just highway driving. Maybe I’m over thinking it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I think mine is usually around 14 but I see it higher when the temp gets cold and the intake heater kicks on then I see it near 15 ish

·
Registered
4,958 Posts

the newer trucks have more advanced charging systems that vary the voltage and duty cycle of the charging system to maximize economy and charging efficiency. This is a normal operation of the truck. Your LML did it as well, but maybe not to the same extent as the L5P. Your charging voltage is safe at 15V, you would not need to worry until at least 16V.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Once he got it squared away he did good. Looks to be more that a few feet. I've never done it myself, never had to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts